iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can I handle it?

Started by Brad_S., March 26, 2006, 08:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_S.

Way behind on milling, so I spent the day trying to catch up. At 7:00p.m., I had just 2 more cuts to finish an order when the engine started squealing and smoking. Ends up the fan bearing on my liquid cooled Duetz 30hp engine had seized. I'm very mechanically challenged, is fixing this a DIY project or should I call in the pro's from Dover? I'm calling Timber Harvester for advice first thing in the a.m., but would like to be armed with some info from those in the know. Thanks!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

getoverit

fan bearing??/

The fan on most engines is usually bolted to the water pump. Did the water pump freeze up or is this some type of hybrid engine with an electric fan or...???
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Brad_S.

Guess that shows how mechanically inept I am.  :-[ The fan appears to attach to the engine block, so I assumed there was a bearing involved. I'm not even sure where the water pump is on it. Better take a closer look tomorrow before I call.  ::) Thanks getoverit.

HORSELOGGER

Dont feel bad Brad... I'd of said somethin similar   :D  Thats one of the reasons I get on better with horses... no wrenches needed.
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

getoverit

Well, the truth is that is could quite possibly be a fan bearing.... but only if your engine had an electric fan motor. In that case, the electric fan motor would need to be replaced. I've seen some weird stuff in my day, and I suppose someone could also make an off-centered fan with just a shaft and bearing, and then this driven by a belt. This would not be normal mechanics though

In most cases, the fan is bolted to a flange on the front of the water pump. I dont think I have ever heard of a water pump locking up. Usually they leak like mad before you get that far.  If you take the belt off and cant move the fan, then the water pump would be the first thing to change out. If the fan moves freely after you take the belt off or loosen the belt, then you have something else causing the problem and from the sounds of it that problem would require some advance troubleshooting by a mechanic. The fan should not wobble at all when you take off the belt. It should spin freely though. if there is any wobble at all then the water pump should be replaced.

Hope this helps!
Ken
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Bro. Noble

Some old tractors just had the fan mounted on a shaft and used bushings-----they didn't have a water pump but the water circulated by the difference in temperatures (thermosiphon).  These are easy to do yourself,  but you might have to have a shop press the new bushing into place.

On the ones with the fan on the water pump,  a lot of them are rebuildable and you just turn in the old one on trade for a rebuilt one.  These would be the easiest for you to do yourself.

Some of the ones with the fan on the waterpump can be rebuilt with a kit or replaced with a new one.  These are usually the most difficult and expensive ones.

Probably lots of other situations,  but these are the ones we have come across.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

pigman

I have an old Deutz tractor that is air cooled. I am so up to date that I did not even know Deutz started making water cooled engines. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Brad_S.

I did take the belt off, at first I thought is was the alternator, but there is no doubt it's the fan. Takes a real effort to get it to turn. Timber Harvester isn't all that helpful with engine problems, they call in a Duetz rep from PA to troubleshoot engine problems, could be a long, costly week. Couldn't have picked a worse time to happen, but then is there ever a good time? Thanks all for the advice.

ScottAR

Anyone in your area specialize in farm power units?  Down here in rice country during summer, there's a ton of duetz power units chugging away on well pumps all over.   Worth a shot anyway... 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

twoodward15

You really don't need a rep to change a water pump.  Just get the pump and the proper gasket and disassemble/reasemble the thing.  It's only a few metric bolts.  You have to remember to break things down.  Any car/airplane/minibike/sawmill is just nuts and bolts.  They are all the same.  Just nuts and bolts.  Now, tell me how hard it is to take a nut off of a bolt.  if you can run that saw (a real technical piece if you have the panel with all those switches) then you can certainly turn a ratchet to remove a bolt or a nut. 
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

woodmills1

Ya know its kinda funny, but I always thought I could teach anyone to do simple repairs.  One of my neighbors wanted to change his own oil so I showed him how, having him do it while I watched.  The next time he did it on his own and welded the oil filter wrench to the starter melting the battery post right of the battery in the process.  Another neighbor wanted to service his hydrostatic riding mower, so I explained the process and pointed out the drain and fill holes.  He calls later and says the tractor is smoking and wont move.  I get there and find out he drained the trans fluid and then added 2.5 quarts of oil to the still full motor.  Go figure ???
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

GregS

Hello Brad.

Just wondering how you are making out?  Any progress?

Greg

Brad_S.

Hey Greg,
Despite twoodward15's words of encouragement, after taking half an hour just to remove the fan guard, and looking at the prospect of draining and removing the radiator and such, I had TH find me the nearest authorized Deutz service center (Pavilion) and dropped the saw off there. The time and avoiding the aggravation I'm sure I would have experienced will be worth the cost. Spent the day doing things that have needed doing for the last couple months.
Like Dirty Harry said, "A man has got to know his limitations." ::)

twoodward15

Ya know, you may have made money taking it there.  Think about all the things you got done today that you would have put on the back burner until fall when you have some down time.  You got your saw running again and got a bunch of things done that probably needed to be done now instead of later anyway.  I think hard about taking something to get fixxed or doing it myself now.  If I can get it fixxed at a reasonable cost at a local shop and get a days worth of work done here while waiting to get things fixxed i'll drop them off to let someone else do it while I get other PM done.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

wiam

Water pumps can sieze before you know there is a leak.  It is scarey when it happens.  The fan does not stop with the pump and the radiator takes it hard.  Then there is a leak and you can not see where you are going.   ::)

Will

p.s.  There are also two small holes in the hood. :o

Will

Thank You Sponsors!