iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do I end the cable?

Started by Satamax, March 29, 2021, 12:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi guys.

I was re cabling this old Silvant winch with a friend.

Recablage Treuil Silvant - YouTube

This is cable from a grooming machine winch.  A bit like anti rotation  crane cable.

I am wondering how to finish the end.

Make an eye ?

Crimped ?

With cable clamps ?

Add a hook?

This cable can't be easily spliced to make an eye. IIRC, it has 9 outer strands. 

Or

I just crimp a button stop ?

Or a poured button stop? You know when you have those which are conical, you fray the cable in, and pour lead in there.

If crimped, I need to see with the friend who has the tractor. If we can do this on his hydraulic hose machine.

May be not the best solution for me.

I'd rather avoid asking for too many favors. 

Another solution? 

I need to flog this one. Not loosing too much dough. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

mike_belben

Are you talking about terminating the end anchored to the drum or the working end?
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Quote from: mike_belben on March 29, 2021, 12:20:05 AM
Are you talking about terminating the end anchored to the drum or the working end?
Working end Mike. The drum end is secured by a plate and a screw.

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Satamax

And i will need to do something about rollers!  ::)

Satamax

I can do something like this. 

http://www.materiel-forestier.fr/pages/fiche.cfm?id=133

On the lathe. And instead of wedges, pour lead in. ( or something along those lines ) 

Oliver05262

The name of that is a spelter socket. It is made with a tapered inner space which is poured with zinc. Lead is very ductile and would not retain the cable under much load. 
  It is a strong, but time consuming way to terminate the cable. Be careful to make sure the cable and socket are dry before you pour the zinc, and do not breath the fumes. Best to do this process outdoors. 
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Satamax

Thanks a lot Oliver. 

I didn't know the name. I know about zinc fumes. I'm not sure i could melt it thought. I'm out of oxy acetylene. Covid taking it's toll on my finances.  :'(

That's why i need to sell fast. 

mike_belben

I think id make a male plug for the socket and hand grind some helical trenches in the plug for the wire to bind.. Then unbraid the end as normal, smash it in there, kink the cable legs outward, weld the male into the female with a few good blobs between the cable tentacles.  Then slice the cables off and hit them with some braze or tacks to bond the cable to the bell. 

I have a choker basket thats made from backbrading cable into itself and terminating the braid in weld dabs.  If the cable isnt galvanaized or too oily you should be able to get some bit of weld on the flushed off tips.. especially if its really compressed from the male and female bullet swedge thingy id make. 

Be sure the nose of the bullet mates nicely with the first slide you put on so it doesnt jam or bust it. 
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Thanks Mike. 

I like options.  :)

mike_belben

Are you pretty good at threading on the lathe? Internal and external? 
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Quote from: mike_belben on March 29, 2021, 08:13:26 AM
Are you pretty good at threading on the lathe? Internal and external?
Completely useless, i am! 
But don't hesitate to tell me.  ;D

mike_belben

well i was gonna say if you were decent at internal threading with a boring bar and 60" insert id draw up a reusable 2 piece end lug that could be tightened if it slipped.  if it were me i would try in aluminum first because its just so much easier to thread and fit without breaking lathe tools. id think it'll hold up but if not at least it proofs out the concept in the woods. 
Praise The Lord

snowmountain

Why not tie a knot on the cable? I was a commercial fisherman most of my life. For years I dredged clams in the ocean. The dredge weighed maybe 2500 pounds empty. The end of the cable would get chafed up every few weeks.  We would just cut it off and tie it around a shackle. I believe it is called a blood knot. Tie the knot around your grab hook, anchor to a tree, then slowly tighten up while whacking with a hammer to tight up. Never had a cable break at the knot. 

Jack

mike_belben

never a bad idea.  anchor hitch is what i use for cable. 
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Thanks a lot guys.

Well Jack. I'm affraid the knot wouldn't go well with potential buyers.

mudfarmer

Quote from: Satamax on March 29, 2021, 11:16:19 AM
Thanks a lot guys.

Well Jack. I'm affraid the knot wouldn't go well with potential buyers.
Am I missing something? If you can't do any of these other options and buyers want something clean looking, find 3x cable clamps and a hook for the end. This is how my old Farmi winch came and looking on the internet it looks like others as well. Sounds a lot quicker and easier than doing anything with a lathe or pouring molten metal if the objective is just to get this thing converted to currency in a hurry.

Satamax

Thanks Mudfarmer. 

That's surprising. I see nothing wrong with those for my own, use. But from a commerdial company. That seems a tad "cheap"

mudfarmer

Quote from: Satamax on March 29, 2021, 12:31:35 PM
Thanks Mudfarmer.

That's surprising. I see nothing wrong with those for my own, use. But from a commerdial company. That seems a tad "cheap"
Agreed, but it works ;D I bought the winch third hand and very old, had to look up and confirm that others are like this from the factory and it wasn't just one of the previous owners that did this. May not be the case anymore.

John Mc

What diameter is the cable?

I put this on the end of my winch cable when I replaced it.

You can't see it well in the picture, but there is a wedge inside the body of the blue thing on the left.  The cable enters the narrow end of the body, goes past the wedge, then bends back down over the end of the wedge and into the body, stopping just as the need reaches that narrow end of the body on the left. The cable is snugged down in a bit, and the bolt is placed which holds the chain link/swivel/keyhole assembly. Pulling on the cable just tightens the wedge down against the cable. There is no end prop required on the cable itself (other then cutting off any frayed part so that you have a clean end).

Note that the inch and mm cable sizes listed do not match each other on their advertisement. I'm not sure which is correct. I am using it on a 10mm cable with good results.

You can find it here: Swivel End Fitter - T3 - Hud-son
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Satamax

Thanks a lot John Mc

I had forgotten about this type of sleeve.

I won't buy one. But it gave me ideas.

My cable is either 11 or 11.5 millimeters. I can't remember.

John Mc

Quote from: Satamax on March 29, 2021, 03:55:06 PM
Thanks a lot John Mc

I had forgotten about this type of sleeve.

I won't buy one. But it gave me ideas.

My cable is either 11 or 11.5 millimeters. I can't remember.
It's a simple, but effective concept. It would not be hard to make something that works on the same principle.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thecfarm

I like that!! Don't like the $50 price, but I suppose buy it once and it will last for years.  :) 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

I think I paid about $35 for mine, but that was probably eight or 10 years ago.

I think I have another one around somewhere, but it doesn't have the swivel built-in to it. I like the swivel because if a log rolls down a side hill, it doesn't wind up my cable like the grab hook I used to have on the end did

Satamax

Ok. Thanks a lot guys. 

The big question, 

Just an end, with  chokers? 

Just an eye? 

An eye with a hook? 

mike_belben

just a taped and cut cable.  let the new owner worry about it. 
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Yep, even more in France where haggling is national sport.

mike_belben

It is in america too.  Its kinda odd but i never lowball people, often pay extra -seriously- and seem to get some excellent deals.  I do better being generous than stingy. If the asking price doesnt match my appraisal i just dont call.  If it does ill  call and say i will give you the whole amount if its what you say it is.  Sellers will wait a week on me or take ads down before im even there.  It really is incredible how influential just saying im content with the price can be.  

Both the houses ive bought have been dual agent.. Meaning i agree to buy without a realtor and let the sellers agent collect both halfs of the 6% fee.  You wanna see how fast a realtor will dump their client, put off other bidders and push the seller to immediately accept your offer and double their take on the sale?   Try it.  Massive influence. 
Praise The Lord

donbj

I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Satamax

I am stingy.  ;D And i haggle like mad. But there is an illness in France, called "lingotite"  (lingot is a gold bar)

Which attacks certain type of people, thinking that the old rustbucket they have is worth gold bars.

If the price is good for me, i don't haggle. Like for my sawmill.

1500€ the sawmill,
1000 for the blades.

At 10 o clock, she had the money on her account!

I do also swaps. If all goes well, i'll talk about that soon.

mike_belben

we have many of them on the sellers side.  "barnfind" is usually in the keyword of their ad.  
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Quote from: mike_belben on March 31, 2021, 06:34:20 AM
we have many of them on the sellers side.  "barnfind" is usually in the keyword of their ad.  
Yeah, and for house sellers, charming, cosy, kitchenette, etc, usually are words used by estate agents trying to get rid of a turd. 

mike_belben

lol  

"some timber with nature trails.  hunters retreat"  

aka highgraded. 
Praise The Lord

Satamax

In French, "coquet" = pimped or tarted up! :D

I don't know how to translate coquet.

Found it, stylish.

Al_Smith

There is a number of ways of eye splicing wire rope ,they all work .It might be of note to use a swivel on the bitter end else it will ruin the rope after a period of use .You can Google the process perhaps shown on You Tube much better than I can attempt to explain it .Also of note attention should be given on how the "lay " of the rope over the winch drum is  done .

Satamax

Thanks a lot Al.

Well, i know i like this video. From six minutes onwards.

Wire Splicing - YouTube

There is a better one in russian.  But couldn't find it.

Mind you, i cannot do that. To splice, you need an equal number of strands. The cable i've used is 9 strands. 

I thyink it'll end up with cable clamps.

bitternut

Why not just attach hook to the end with one of these things from Labonville.

Ferrule & Wedge-*

Satamax

Could do too, but with 9 braid cable, i think i need to pour the "wedge"

Al_Smith

Another method I normally use----Really Quick Wire Rope Eye-splice. : 3 Steps - Instructables .This is often used on big choker cables finished off using a crimped sleeve .You can do the finish several other  ways . One is using a "Crosby " type cable clamp or just by serving the fold back ends using wire .I've used all three methods and so far never had one unravel .Saying that I've also back spliced the eye which is far more  difficult to do .Not nearly as easy as something like 3 strand nylon or Manilla line .--Note I use U S  Navy terms where rope is steel cable and line is what most people call rope .--old habits die hard---- ;)

Tacotodd

Al, don't worry. I do the same thing as your talking about. I had it drilled into me by dad YEARS ago. Yes, drilled. A Marine until he died. Every time I called it cable dad would get more and more "stern" with his correction of me. I changed for good because I didn't like the thought of a boot placed where I sit! 😱
Trying harder everyday.

Satamax

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 31, 2021, 11:41:12 AM
Another method I normally use----Really Quick Wire Rope Eye-splice. : 3 Steps - Instructables .This is often used on big choker cables finished off using a crimped sleeve .You can do the finish several other  ways . One is using a "Crosby " type cable clamp or just by serving the fold back ends using wire .I've used all three methods and so far never had one unravel .Saying that I've also back spliced the eye which is far more  difficult to do .Not nearly as easy as something like 3 strand nylon or Manilla line .--Note I use U S  Navy terms where rope is steel cable and line is what most people call rope .--old habits die hard---- ;)
Al, this is what we call forester or Portuguese eye. Nearly impossible with 9 braid i think. 

Al_Smith

Well now think about this .No matter because once you get it all folded back over itself  if it's 9 strand all wound up it is still 9 strand in the eye .It's called a flemish eye .

Thank You Sponsors!