iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Wind

Started by sandhills, October 18, 2012, 02:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandhills

I hope not everyone is getting this wind, I combined corn all day yesterday (knowing it was stupid  ::)) but today I haven't turned a wheel.  Yesterday the grain elevator I was hauling too had a top speed of 76 and a 50-60 mph consistent speed.  We had one fire started by a combine about ten miles south that took out everything but the owners house, don't know the details but it did burn the garage off of it and melted 2 grain bins burning everything inside, and a few others that burned a lot of hay, to put it mildly our volunteer fire departments were spread pretty thin, they had nine crews at one fire.  For all the loggers and woodsmen here this is like a forest fire just waiting to happen, we're drier than a tinder box and the wind is worse today than yesterday, it's scary just driving down the road let alone running equiptment.

Norm

I was in Columbus, NE yesterday but got out in time before it really picked up. We get those kinds of wind mostly in early spring rarely fall.

How the heck could you see the rows with that amount of wind!

Autocar

Its been windy here also but not like what your having, seems like this time of year and on into winter the wind blows about all the time. I guess it's checking out how much insulation we have between the walls  ;D Here also we have had rain about every other day been averageing about a inch a week.
Bill

sprucebunny

That's a pretty big, strong low in the middle of the country ! When you look at the weather radar, the clouds around it look like a hurricane.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Kcwoodbutcher

I tried sawing today but got tired of eating sawdust and gave up.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

sandhills

Went back to the field this morning and it's not a pretty sight, I don't think we lost half but I know at least a third of the corn is laying on the ground.  The stalks that blew over are easy to get but the ones that are standing just dropped the ears, only way to look at it now I guess is the cows will be happy (until they founder that is).  A few more fires took off yesterday but were put out quick, hardly anyone ran in the fields, the fire I posted of yesterday burned up 3 quarters of corn, 2 bin fulls and almost got the guys house, never thought I'd say it but it's nice to have 30mph winds.

Autocar

Thats sad news about your corn ,around here they have some kind of a reel that picks up corn when its laying on the ground. But when the ears drop off your pretty well up the creek without a paddle. Hope all works out for the best.
Bill

beenthere

Back in the day, we used to get a tractor and wagon and a bunch of our FFA guys and walk the cornfields picking up ear corn. Doesn't take long to pick up a couple hundred bushels, and at today's prices it could be some great fundraisers.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!