iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to eradicate gypsy moths?

Started by Old Greenhorn, June 28, 2019, 08:31:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Not sure where to put this thread, so I am dropping it here.
 Looks like the gypsy moths are back with a vengeance again this year. I had them dropping on me about a month ago and the other night I saw them clustering up and down the trunk of a small maple, it looked like the bark was moving. I have even been nipped a time or two.
 Does anyone have recommendations for something I could apply after they are on the tree to 'discourage' them (i.e. kill them dead with extreme prejudice)? I don't want to hurt the trees.
 I just hate these creatures. When they get out of hand the damage is severe. I think everybody has given up fighting them, but DanG these things are killing my trees.
 I am open to any and all suggestions (except that ting with the sticky tape, way too late for that). Last night I caught myself trying to remember who who I knew that might have an asphalt torch I could borrow. ;D >:(
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Ron Wenrich

For single tree method, take a burlap sack or something similar and tie it around your tree with baler twine.   Best to do a flap where the twine is inside the a fold in the sack.  The caterpillars come down at night and go up the tree during the next day.  They get under the sack flap.  Untie the sack and put the contents in diesel.  You'll need to do this daily.  

There are chemical treats that you put into the tree, but they are fairly expensive.  There is a mauget injection system that probably has an insecticide that will work on gypsy moth, as well as a lot of other critters.  Look up the system to find out which is the best if you want to go that route.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

LaneC

I would try soapy water. It is not well known I don't think, that dawn dishwashing liquid and water kills all kinds of insects. I don't think it will hurt the tree, hopefully someone will chime in and can say for sure that it will not hurt the tree. I have used it to kill wasps, bees, ants fleas etc. I know it is a combination of chemicals, but I would rather use soapy water when possible.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Old Greenhorn

Dang Jeff! You just keep getting luckier as time goes on. My luck seems to be going the other way. Towns and counties won't spray here and if the state tries, well all the folks of a certain ilk have protests and hire lawyers. I am looking at them on my trees and am just sick. Folks who have not seen this can't imagine how bad it can get. Soap and tape and traps don't do anything when there are millions of them. I am still thinking of trying an asphalt torch, but it's only too little too late, but when I see them on a trunk in a swarm, maybe it will make me feel better cleaning them off.
 Glad you folks know how to handle these things. Good on ya!

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Ianab

We don't have them in NZ (yet). Some apparently did sneak in through the port in Auckland and got a toehold.  Luckily the biosecurity guys found them in time, but they still ended up carpet spraying 1/4 of the city. A few complaints of course, but the spray is actually a natural bacteria that finds the caterpillars very attractive. It was cool watching on the news this big 4 engine water bomber they hired making runs over the suburbs at about 200 ft. Some of the shots they we basically looking down on it. 

There were a couple of folks with genuine concerns (stress related asthma etc). They just got a couple of weeks at a motel by the beach across town, paid for if they actually had genuine concerns. 

Police powers are quite limited by law (need search warrants to enter property etc). MPI (Ministry of Primary Industries) actually have more power. If they think you are harbouring a Gypsy Moth, they can just come in and look for it. If they know your city is harbouring a gypsy moth, they can just spray it. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!