iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question about rusty bands

Started by Nomad, February 13, 2012, 06:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

I just bought another mill, and got a bunch of bands with it.  More than half are used but never sharpened.  Around 30 or so have never been used, but most of them have varying amounts of rust too.  I'm cleaning these things up with a wire wheel on a 4 1/2" grinder, and it'll take me a month of Sundays to do 'em all.  The question I've got is, is it worth it?  How do you determine if a blade is too rusty to be worth salvaging?  I never let any of my bands get like this, so I have no idea.  I don't mind spending the time and effort if it's worth it, but I'd rather not do all this if I'm pithing in the wind!  I've only cleaned a couple so far; haven't tried sharpening one yet.

Oh yeah.  Bought another mill.  Suppose I ought to address that, too :D  Another topic.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

terrifictimbersllc

If you have a drill press, try cleaning your blades with a wire cup pressed against the drill press table.  I pull the blades round between the cup brush and the table (I use a coarse brush and my table has a wooden cover on it).  It takes less than a minute to clean a blade this way. Maybe 30 seconds.   I mount a vacuum hose next to it. Also flip the bands inside out and pull it in the direction so the teeth don't grab.  And my wooden table has a wooden fence on it which guides the blade under the cup.  I need to put up a video.  It is so easy to clean a blade this way. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

steve phillips

navel gel
wd40 will remove a little
pb blast works good
with a hand wire brush after using one of these
if its not broke dont fix it !!!!

kelLOGg

Put them on the mill and saw. They will come clean quickly if the rust is superficial. If not and they still cut, use them. At the very least, that is the first step in cleaning.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

LeeB

I agree with the last post. Sharpen em and run em. If they break, they were too rusty. If not, then the will get cleaned during the milling.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Brucer

They'll get cleaned pretty DanGed quick on the mill :).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Nomad

Sounds a lot better than trying to clean 'em all by hand.  I'll put a quick edge on the ones that need it and give it a shot.  Worst that can happen is I break a few, right?
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

customsawyer

Now that you have it all figured out you can let us know how it works out.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

paul case

Or ya could just ship those bands to me if they are 158'' and I will clean them up for ya and test them and ship them back to ya. I have an LT40 that will clean them up nicely. Of course they will all need sharpened then, but if ya have 2 sharpeners that wont take ya long. ;D PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Bandmill Bandit

Yup! Sharpen them and use em. That is the quickest and least work way to find out which ones are good.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

jueston

i don't own a mill, but my first thought was run them through a log with lots of lube and see how they come out. looks like lots of other people thought the same thing... :)

WDH

Yes, lots of lube and run them on the mill.  Use diesel as the lube on a crappy log and let it clean up the blade.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Nomad, Mr. Tom would tell you just to saw with em, I can guarantee.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Nomad

Jeff, thinking about it, I'm sure you're right.
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

terrifictimbersllc

Swap the diesel lube for Blue Creeper! 8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

slider

nomad i'm in the same boat,let a bunch of bands lay around too long.I cut off a 2 ft section of a 55 gal drum and pored in old diesel ,used hydraulic oil and what ever i could find.now i soak about 4 at a time for a few days .cleaned up 10 on saturday .the stuff comes off quiet well ,just nasty.i use a grinder with wire brush.about 25 left bet you  i will take better care of my bands next time.i could just stick them on the mill and clean them but i don't want all that rust wearing out my guides.  al
al glenn

Thank You Sponsors!