iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl ms 170 chainsaw

Started by redneck logger, August 07, 2008, 10:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Air Lad

Quote from: Ivan49 on January 21, 2019, 06:09:35 PM
I have a MS 170 and an MS 180 have had both for years and they are good saws. Mine got hard to start so I took one in with no change in the starting. I looked on line and tore into the 180 cleaned the exhaust screen new plug new gas line. I tried to start it today and after it primed itself by pulling. It now starts on the 3rd pull cold. I used both of these saws on my sawmill for years. I also have an MS 290 and that one was bought in the early 2000. It has never gave me any problems in all that time
The spark screen can get clogged on these. Will start/run but bog down on acceleration .Easy fix.
Mine had a choke that wasn't closing fully when needed .Took 12 pulls to start cold
Easy fix to make the lever push it fully over. Like new now
Google these problems and video solutions. Very common these two
Cheers

Fulcrum156

• Ematicâ„¢ Lubrication System
    The Ematic™ guide bar, when used with STIHL OILOMATIC® saw chain, will provide proper lubrication and less oil consumption than conventional methods. The system works because two ramps, strategically placed in the guide bar rail, help contain the flow of oil and direct all lubrication to the sliding faces of the bar and chain links as well as the rivets and driver holes, which in turn can reduce bar oil consumption up to 50%.

is this feature any good? Do all the MS 170 have this feature or only the, say more recent ones? This thread has been started in 2008, looks like the MS 170 has been around for plenty of time already.
Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.

bluthum

I got one about 1.5 years ago and the only complaint I have is it seems stingy with the oil. I don't know if it's ematic or not. I took it back to the dealer and the service guy said they were oil stingy and he thought mine normal. I've not noted any wear issues with bar or chain so I suppose everything is good. Tiny chain needs tiny oil perhaps.

Thank You Sponsors!