iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help on Stihl chainsaw

Started by flyfish57, May 20, 2014, 09:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyfish57

I know there are several good chainsaws.  But, the reason I have chosen Stihl is because I can get them repaired and service and parts around my place of living or by the property I bought.
I currently have a Stihl 026 with a 16 and 20" bar that I've had since new and I purchased a MS181c with 16" bar last year for the light work like pruning dead branches.  Now after looking at some of the timber on my property I think I will need a bigger saw also.  I won't use it as much.  So, I thought about going used.  I also thought about doing some chainsaw milling as well.  So, I'm wanting to find what a good price might be for a used 066 or MS 660.  I did find a MS650 for $600.  But don't know anything about them.  So, I'm looking for some suggestions and guidelines.  Here, a new MS 660R is about $1250.00 with a 28 inch bar.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

James

Pine Ridge

If  you  are  thinking  about  a  used  saw,  have  someone  that  knows  what  they're  doing  checkout  the  piston  and  cylinder  before  you  buy,  and  look  for  any  other  problems. lots  of  good  looking  low  hour  used  saws  that  seem  reasonably  priced  out  there  that  are  o k.  but  if  you  don't  know  about  the  guy  that  owned  it  before  it  needs  checked  out. 
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

joe_indi

James, if that MS 650 is in good condition buy it! The only difference between the 660 and the 650 is the piston/cylinder. The 660 has a 54mm bore and the 650 has a 52mm bore.Anytime you feel you want a 660, just change the cylinder and piston to the 54mm.

Ianab

If the MS650 is in good condition then it's probably worth that. Check the compression, how it starts and runs etc. If you try and pull one over without using the decomp valve, that will give you an idea of how good the compression is  If you pick up a saw by the starter cord and it sinks to the ground, it has serious issues.

Like Joe says, the difference from a 660 is 2mm and 85 vs 90cc. Performance difference will be also be small and all the other mechanicals are the same.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!