The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Vacutherm iDry input  (Read 36703 times)

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
Re: Vacutherm iDry input
« Reply #440 on: September 17, 2021, 08:16:20 PM »
Treadsactual, I think that wood was in the kiln way to long for 4/4. HM needs to be dried fast! 
I am drying loads of it now, 2 weeks off the mill and into the kiln , full power, 160F and then after 6 days turn it up to 163F and I will pull it out tomorrow morning or Sunday morning, depending on the water coming out of the kiln. That is big in IMHO , moisture coming out, when it drops it is either dry or you need to crank the temp. I do that with walnut and Oak, start low, 105F, then turn it up when the water changes. 
Jim was right in the 12 hr drain cycle for sure, get the moisture out of the kiln. 
I collect the water in a 45 gallon white plastic barrel. When the amounts drops, ( I'm looking for a 4"- 6" drop in volume of water or more with maple, cherry, popple , pine) its time to do something else. Take the wood out, turn up the temperature if its a slow drying type of wood.
I do not like to open the Kiln to check moisture content as then your wood cools down, moisture comes out of the kiln. you are also testing Hot wood, 150F so the meters are not that acurate, and you take away the conditioning aspect of the partial vacuum kiln. It also add 2 days to the drying time. You have to get the heat back up. You have to have confidence in the process for the Accelerted Air Drying System the IDRY is. 160F and 8" of Vacuum. It works. Leave the doors shut for your cycle time. 

I have determned my cylce as 2 weeks with everything 6/4 and thicker, under is  7 days. Water output determines shorter or longer.  I only open my kiln on those timelines, giver or take a day or 2. My Heater is running at 207 volts because of what my utility delivers instead of 240 which your element and the kiln are designed for. It affects the drying times. 
Cheers
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
Re: Vacutherm iDry input
« Reply #441 on: October 08, 2021, 07:52:01 PM »
The maple I dried was sawn in February and March. I did reach out to Jim Parker and the only recommendation he had was to change the drain cycle from 24 hour to 12 hour.

I started at 105 degrees, and adjusted the temperature up based on the moisture readings with my Delmhorst pin meter. I raised it to 160 only when all my readings were under 15% (15 days after starting the load). It took 11 more days at 160 under vacuum to get it all around 7% moisture. 4/4 maple took 26 days by that schedule.

Luckily we do a lot of stained maple stair treads, so we are able to use the cherry maple for those.
I have 10 loads of Hard maple to do from a customer. A great experiment. 
The 1st 2 loads and previous 6 loads from 4 months ago were done at regular press start and wait. 160F 24 hr drain cycles.
They were all dry in 7-8 days. 
I am doing the next 4 loads at full power but set the drain cycle to 12 hrs,  24 hrs at full power to get the temp up and then 12 hr cycles. So far in 2 days the water draining out is the very close to the same amount as in a 24 hr cycle. 
I am hoping this will reduce the kiln time by a day or 2. 
I'll keep you posted.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
New iDRY

Started by boonesyard on Drying and Processing

32 Replies
Last post December 04, 2019, 10:05:02 AM
by boonesyard
xx
iDry Kiln

Started by D6c on Drying and Processing

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2021, 11:51:27 AM
by japarker4