The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Supplemental heat for Nyle L53  (Read 397 times)

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Copas Sawmill
Supplemental heat for Nyle L53
« on: August 13, 2021, 04:14:51 PM »
I'm replacing my HVAC air handling unit in the house today.  I got to thinking it has good 15KW heat strips and a squirrel cage fan.  Would this be something useful in my chamber for a Nyle L53?

I have a new kiln building ready to install the L53 so I think this would be the time to add supplemental heat if it is a good idea.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
Re: Supplemental heat for Nyle L53
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 07:24:07 PM »
15KW would be lots of heat.  Most times I only need about 2KW auxilliary plus the 1KW strips in the L53 to hit 150F.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  Dont burn the cookies.

Offline KenMac

• I'm new, but don't feel so new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 09:12:29 PM »
If used in that environment you may need to check the high limit temp switches for their setting. Normally they trip somewhere in the 180 to 200 degree range. at 150 inlet air you may exceed that temp at the switches and shut down the strips. Just me thinking about possibilities here. Good luck with your kiln.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB

Offline cabindoc

• I'm new ish
    • Share Post
    • cabin doctor site
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 07:58:50 AM »
If used in that environment you may need to check the high limit temp switches for their setting. Normally they trip somewhere in the 180 to 200 degree range. at 150 inlet air you may exceed that temp at the switches and shut down the strips. Just me thinking about possibilities here. Good luck with your kiln.
Maybe if he installs said equipment outside the chamber and draws return air from down low and send supply air up high?  that keeps some parts of the equipment out of the environment, but will that get the chamber to 150?  and how about effeciency?  as in there are probably less expensive ways like @YellowHammer has said.
Scott  aka cabindoc  aka logologist at large
Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

Offline KenMac

• I'm new, but don't feel so new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 10:00:43 PM »
Maybe if he installs said equipment outside the chamber and draws return air from down low and send supply air up high?  that keeps some parts of the equipment out of the environment, but will that get the chamber to 150?  and how about effeciency?  as in there are probably less expensive ways like @YellowHammer has said.
From professional experience the parts that fail are the parts in the air flow regardless of where the actual air handler is located. Residential or light commercial equipment is not designed for that environment or air temps. That  is worth exactly what it cost you. ;D
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
supplemental heat in a solar kiln????

Started by WLC on Drying and Processing

20 Replies
Last post November 09, 2017, 05:35:44 PM
by Crusarius
xx
Sterilizing w/ Supplemental heat in a VT Solar Kiln

Started by Everest123 on Drying and Processing

8 Replies
Last post March 25, 2021, 05:03:16 PM
by Everest123
xx
nyle L53 heat strip

Started by wills swamp on Drying and Processing

7 Replies
Last post May 02, 2016, 07:36:07 AM
by WDH
xx
OWB, radiant heat in floor heat... can i add a tankless boiler to the system???

Started by brownloggin on Firewood and Wood Heating

19 Replies
Last post April 11, 2015, 09:37:07 AM
by red