iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

kiln time

Started by xlogger, August 18, 2021, 06:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

About how much time do you take to dry 9/4 in a Nyle 53. Around 4-500 bd ft maple air dried to upper teens %.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

customsawyer

Mine is a L200 and I do bigger loads than that, however my 9/4 maple takes around 10 days including sterilization.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

I agree, 10 days, including sterilization, in my L53.  Set it to 120/98. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Soft maple or hard maple?

Highest temperature you expect to use...115F?

What is the final MC target?

The 53 is designed to dry 300 to 1000 bf of lumber.  This means that it has enough power to evaporate a certain amount of water.

Note that 9/4 dries abut three times longer than 4/4.  We can dry 4/4 soft maple from 20% MC to 8% MC in about four days at 115 F and constantly running DH.  However, sometimes after air drying to a very low MC, the water seems to be locked into the wood and the wood dries much slower than expected.

When drying thicker lumber, the time is also depending on if you want the core to be the same MC as the shell.  If the core is a bit wetter, it will dry after kiln drying and May result is a little warping.  At the same time, we do not want to over dry the shell.  So, so, the settings that YellowHammer has given are perfect. 

As a rule of thumb, figure about 1% MC loss per day.

Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!