iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moving stacks to dry

Started by macminn18, September 22, 2021, 07:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macminn18

Newbie here trying to think through a few things.  One of those things is how to move stacked/stickered around.  I have some wood that was done a while ago before I got my own mill. This wood is all processed into paneling, so bundled up with straps, etc.  No stickers obviously.
So my question is if and when I need to move a stack of, let's say 4/4 boards that are stickered, how do I do that?  I have a tractor with pallet forks, but I don't think the boards can handle the weight as is.  I assume I'd need a couple of cross pieces the long way, then supports the narrow way to stack the milled boards.
Not sure how to explain, but hopefully someone understands what I'm asking.

scsmith42

I move flat stacked 3/4" thick moulded lumber with a forklift all the time.  No issues.  There may be some sag, but that's it.

If I was really worried about it, I'd put pallets under the stacks.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

btulloh

A lot of us use pallets to sticker the wood on. Makes it easier to begin with and makes it possible to move stickered stacks. Can also just pick up the pallet of lumber and put it right in the kiln. The sticker pallets can really help the process of handling lumber. Best to strap the pallets when moving.

The bottom stickers are nailed on to the pallet so spacing is always uniform. Size the pallets and stacks to fit your equipment and lumber.

Edit/add:  The stacks hold together pretty well and can be moved without banding or straps BUT bad things can happen with a little bump or a sudden stop. Depends on your layout, your handling and your risk tolerance.  (Someone posted a picture a while back of a 4 ft stickered stack fanned out on the ground perfectly like a deck of cards. Oops. Stuff happens to the best of us.)
HM126

alan gage

To the original poster I think I see what you're concerned about but the bottom boards will be plenty strong enough to lift the stack with forks.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Thank You Sponsors!