iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Debarked log under the snow for winter

Started by Iommi, November 02, 2021, 08:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iommi

Hi guys,

I will let my debarked logs (fir) under the snow for winter. Theses logs are sit on dead trees,  around 10-12 inches above the ground.

Do you think logs will deteriorate because of the snow, or  because of the water (melting snow) in the spring ?

I have to many trees to cover them all..

These  logs will be used for my log cabin.

Thanks a lot !

Stephen1

Once frozen nothing will happen to them. I was 5 years from start to finnish of a roof over my Log Cabin and everything is in great shape.  
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

mike_belben

The snowmelt will help the eventual start of shelf mushrooms but not bad the first few years. Bark off and up a foot out of the dirt will get you about 4 to 5 years before theyre firewood.  Spaces in between the logs will be the biggest helpm  mushrooms start along the creases where they touch.. where snow pockets form then get absorbed deeper than other parts of the pile.  sun and wind cant dry the extra moisture because of them being butted together.  Even an inch gap from jamming in twigs or stickers between neighboring logs will help. Makes less inviting for bugs too. 
Praise The Lord

kantuckid

If the location is a variable winter place with snow then warmups you'll be cleaning off mold & mildew. Fir growing area sounds like it stays cold there. I would not call that deterioration, nor worry at all.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!