iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Easy level base for drying lumber?

Started by Daburner87, September 23, 2022, 08:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daburner87

What are the easiest ways for leveling a base to stack lumber on?  Today I did my first entire log in 10/4 slabs and I don't have a dedicated flat area to stack any of my wood on.  I know a lot of people have a cement slab or something similar to work off of which is easy, but for those of us who are out stacking in the yard or dirt for example what is an easy method for getting a level base?   

I used a bunch of cement blocks and leveled them off as best I could, then put a 4x4 on top and it ok.  I just feel like there's gotta be a better, and easier way.  If anyone has some pictures of their bases and what they used it would greatly appreciated.  My yard just isn't ideal.  The guy I know who mills just throws a 6x6 down at the ends of the stack, but it all bows in middle big time....  Here is a picture of his stacks.  He does this for everything, and doesn't sticker anything, very wasteful.  So I'm trying to do better and have straighter wood as I'm his direct competition.  I just sold to one of his previous customers and they complained about nothing being straight and all bent out of shape....   

HM130Max Woodlander XL

Stevenjohn21

I'm interested in other ideas also. Originally I put 16x8" building blocks down every 16" apart but that got old really quick, trying to level them took half a day. 
I'm now using plastic pallets which are 4'x4' and although I still have to prepare the ground, it's a lot easier to get those level. 
I guess your competitor is missing a few 6x6's in the middle to stop the lumber bowing. 

kelLOGg

I use cinder blocks with beams on top. I level the beams with shims, etc. and whatever it takes. I use a 4' level for measurements. I put the cinder blocks with surface down rather than the edge to give more surface area in contact with the ground. The ground stays dry because one side of the drying shed is the barn. If I had an open 4-sided shed I would do it differently because the ground would be more likely to get wet. I (and customers) are pleased with the results. The cinder blocks have settled a bit but not as much as appears; most of what you see is blown sawdust and shavings.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

charles mann

Youtube mat cremona and go through his vids. He built adjustable leveling bases, but still used cinder/concrete blocks and still leveled them before sitting the bases on them. As the ground settled/shifted, he could adjust for level as needed. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Andries

Charles - good memory on you, man!
I'd forgotten that one and found it here:
Making More Lumber Stack Leveling Bases - YouTube 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

firefighter ontheside

I built this stand, copied from others on the forum.  It's 10' long and about 40" wide with crossmembers on 16" centers.  Posts are 6x6 locust just buried with no concrete.  I will build another using some telephone poles I have.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Stephen1

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on September 25, 2022, 09:17:36 AM
I built this stand, copied from others on the forum.  It's 10' long and about 40" wide with crossmembers on 16" centers.  Posts are 6x6 locust just buried with no concrete.  I will build another using some telephone poles I have.

I like this method, only I use blocks with a 6x6 or 8x8 running the length and 3x3 across every 16-24" . Slabs get 24" lumber gets 16"
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Daburner87

Thanks for the replies and pictures.  Kellogg your setup looks very nice, especially the blocks on top that hold the ratchet straps.   

Firefighter ontheside are those 2x6's bolted into the 6x6's or are they notched in as well?
HM130Max Woodlander XL

kelLOGg

As a critique of my drying shed I would say 1) there is too much lumber (even with fans) to allow for ventilation, 2) stickers are too narrow (3/4 x 3/4). But, in the end, the blue stain didn't matter because the customer stained it black for the siding on his house - which looks fantastic. 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

blackhawk

Lucas 7-23 with slabber. Nyle L53 kiln. Shopbot CNC 48x96

D6c

I've thought about this problem off and on.  Haven't built it yet, but am considering setting hedge posts in two lines about 3' apart, and  as long as I think I need.  Then notch the tops to set  bridge planks on edge along each line of posts.  This will give me two raised rails to set my 4' wide pallets of lumber on.  Should be able to stack a couple of pallets high.

Daburner87

Quote from: blackhawk on September 26, 2022, 09:02:04 AM
Here is a video that I did on how I make my drying platforms.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rijUz7X4ZIo
That looks pretty easy.   Might do that method and mill the 6x6s and 4x4s myself.
HM130Max Woodlander XL

VB-Milling

I used pallets of similar size.

Admittedly, not the greatest, but it got me started.

Flatted the dirt and put the pallets on the ground.

Remember, there is a difference between level and flat. Your drying area/platform etc needs to be flat, but not necessarily level.
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!