The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Drying Holly  (Read 1891 times)

Offline Woodwalker

• Old, ugly, rude, cude and sociability un-acceptable.
    • Share Post
Drying Holly
« on: December 24, 2008, 11:04:29 PM »
I just milled some Holly. Everything I read says to dry as soon as possible after cutting, with a kiln being the preferred method and shed drying second. My kiln is nothing more than a sealed chamber with a good fan and a home dehumidifier inside. Iíve air dried some red oak and finished it off with this setup, but this is the first time Iíve started with green wood off the mill.
The more I think about it, Iím not sure this small dehumidifier is going to do the job. Should I pull the wood out and put it under a shed with a fan blowing on it? or leave it be? or add some heat? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Thanks,
Wade
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Toms Saw
Re: Drying Holly
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 07:27:28 PM »
I think you might be OK.
The reason for the fast drying is to preserve the "white" wood.   While your dehumidifier might not dry real quickly, the fans will keep the water off of the surface of the wood and you are probably as well off as you would be air drying it in a shed.

It might be a good idea to check it now and again for Sticker stain or 'shadow' from the stickers.

If you have doubts that the humidifier is keeping up, just keep the fans going and vent the kiln for a little while at night.  That is a procedure used for solar kilns and helps to get rid of the access water (humidity).  I'l bet it would help your dehumidifier keep up too
extinct

Offline Woodwalker

• Old, ugly, rude, cude and sociability un-acceptable.
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 08:55:23 PM »
Tom, Itís pulling water out, canít remember for sure how much, but I think it pulled about three gallons today. Gonna have to measure in a different bucket to see how much.  This chamber (4í x 8í x 16í) is fairly tight, insulated with 6Ē fiberglass and ĹĒ foam, covered with black poly. Inside temp will hold 8* to 12* over ambient. Thatís what Iím wondering about. It was running around 76* - 78* at 4:00PM. Damp + warm = fuzzy?
Iíll vent it, see how it works out. Ifinn it don't, does Holly make good firewood ???
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 09:38:11 PM »
Even if goes gray, it makes good rocking chair stock and furniture faces. It just doesn't make good inlay and inlay is where the money is.
extinct

Offline Den Socling

• Senior Member x2
  • just wondering
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 10:39:19 AM »
Holly is not easy to dry with high quality. It is claimed that you need to dry very quickly to keep it white. While you are worrying about the color, it will warp like a bag of potato chips - wavy potato chips!

The wrong color is blue/gray/green. In vacuum drying, I noticed that the stain seemed to be worse at the drying "front" where the vacuum was vaporizing the liquid water. This led me to some testing with solvents and I discovered that a blue green pigment was deposited at the drying front. So what does this mean? First it is not true to think that decomposition causes the discoloration. Secondly, the pigment that causes the discoloration is always there. The question is "how do you keep it spread around and not concentrated"?

Woodwalker - I don't have any advice but cross your fingers.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Drying Holly

Started by Rwill114 on Drying and Processing

18 Replies
Last post October 21, 2021, 09:03:06 PM
by scsmith42
xx
Drying Holly.

Started by The WoodYard on Drying and Processing

6 Replies
Last post January 02, 2014, 12:14:28 AM
by WDH
xx
Sawing/Drying Holly

Started by pinehillstacker on Sawmills and Milling

4 Replies
Last post June 17, 2019, 05:53:10 PM
by pinehillstacker
xx
Holly Daze - biggest holly log I've seen - now what?

Started by btulloh on Sawmills and Milling

12 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 09:31:47 AM
by Raym