iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Left Tilt vrs Right Tilt

Started by mhasel, January 29, 2004, 06:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhasel

Greetings,

I'm hoping some folks can help explain and make sense of the reason professional woodworking shops seem to prefer left tilt cabinet table saws to a right tilt models? I am currently contemplating a purchase of a Unisaw and want to make sure that I purchase the model that will be most versatile down the road for general woodworking projects.

Thanks,
Mike

Tom

Basically it's personal preference.  The left tilt is supposed to allow bevel cutting without trapping the work against the fence.  

Jim_Rogers

I moved this topic here from timber framing section as I felt it would receive more responses under this heading.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Mobilesawyer

If you have not yet formed a preferance you might want to consider which one is most popular. This way you don't end up with an odd ball peice of equipment when looking for parts or if you decide to sell.

VA-Sawyer

Part of it comes from left vs right handed people. Some people prefer to work with the fence to the left of the blade. Some prefer to have it on the right.  Like Tom says, you want to be able to cut bevels without having them trapped.  The part I don't understand is some companies make both left and right tilts but always put the fence to the same side.
VA-Sawyer

shopteacher

I have 2 unisaws at school and 3 at home and have been wanting a left tilt.  With the right tilt you can only move the fence a short distance to the left. If your cutting a bevel and have the fence on the right side the piece being cut off is trapped between the fence and blade making a case for violent kickback very possible. I shot a 1" piece of hard rock maple through my 1 3/4" fiberglass shop door from 15 feet.  I'm glad I took my own advice that day and wasn't standing directly behind the blade.
Other than cutting bevels I don't see any difference.  Powermatic model 66 were always left tilt and now Delta and Jet have left tilt as probably most large brand name power tools.  It took Delta a lot of engineering to get a left tilt together. I remember reading an article where they thought it would be merely a switch from one side to the other and became a total re-engineering of the internal works to get it to operate.  I keep an eye out for a good buy on a lefty and will eventually get one.  If I was in the market for a new saw it would be without a doubt left tilt.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Bill_B

I went from a right tilt to a left and I like it much better.
Bill B

chet

When from right to left also. It felt awkward for the first couple of days. Now I can't imagine why anyone would ever make a right tilt.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

karl

right tilt makes it near impossible to run narrow bevels without a backup piece to push through or a very thin push stick.  ripped miters have to be run face down or swap fence (if table is wide enough).  saw tends to pull stock from fence on angle.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

mhasel

Thanks for the great info guys, I was more or less convinced about the left tilt before posting but after reading everyone's responses my decision is made. Now all I have to do is find the best price :P

It is great to have such an open exchange of ideas and honest discussions on real working experiences.

Thanks again one & all,
Mike

AtLast

preference is an "ok" reason...BUT safty and application. Been a woodworker for 20+ years professionally...and I have ALWAYS wanted and bought left tilt saws....like Tom said...binding is just  1 of many reasons.....but in my opinion left tilt is the way to go

SasquatchMan

Left tilt is clearly better for most people and most apps.  Just harder to manufacture I suppose...
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Thank You Sponsors!