iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a Kiln Chamber

Started by Paul_H, May 24, 2003, 11:06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

"Tech Support"? Looks like you are at the right place! ;)

shopteacher

FDH,
   Where did you get the solar kiln plans from?  Been looking at several different web sites at solar kilns, but haven't made up my mind as to which appears to be the best setup. Any thoughts?
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Fla._Deadheader

The "Illustrious Potentate, Mr. Biziedizie" sent me a copy. ;D
  Sneak over the fence, to the Woodweb, and search the knowledge base, under Solar kiln. Dr.? Wengert has them posted. They are the ones that I have, I think??
  I also have a Brochure from Woodmizer.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

biziedizie

I'm a what??? :D :D :D :D :D I can't even pronounce them words. :D :D :D :D

Deadheader it seems that your way ahead of me in the kiln building. 8)
  I'm still looking for a good spot to build it. Maybe I will put it on skids and tow it around till I find a good spot for it. :D

Steve

Fla._Deadheader

Yeah, I'm WAAAAYY ahead. I got my spot picked out !!!!! ::) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Neil_B

Bizie, If you leave it on the skids you can classify it as portable and won't need a building permit ;D
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

biziedizie

Fla_
  I just can't decide where to put this thing ??? I want it close to the mill but there's not enough room with all the logging trucks coming and going. ;D I think what I'll do is do what I always do when I have a tough matter to decide on, I will ask my little boy. 8)

New_Sawyer
  Building permit??? What's a building permit. :D :D :D
  Oh yeah that's one of those things that I should've obtained when I built the workshop, the deck, the saw shed, the addition that I put on the house, the deck and carport on the parents house. :o
  It will look real good explaining to the bylaw officer about not having permits when I own a construction company and pull permits all the time. :D :D

Steve

Neil_B

bizie, bizie, bizie. Didn't you know? ??? Just remember that when you get a raise in your property tax that you don't ask for a re-assessment :o ;). A friend down the road from me had mentioned not getting a permit for his workshop, and a few sheds and a few minutes later were talking about taxes and he thought about getting re assessed. Mentioned it may be a good idea to just pay the tax ;D

Why worry about log trucks when you can just pull it out of their way :D
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Joe_Beaulieu

A couple of clarifications on the Nyle L200 Dry Kiln:

The drying capacity of the unit varies with the allowable drying rate of the species being dried.  The unit can handle up to 4000 bf of a green, slow drying species such as red oak(max MC loss/day of 3.8%).  On a species such as black spruce (max MC loss/day of 20%) the load would be limited to about 1000 bf.  

It is recommended that additional fans be installed in chambers over 17' in length.

The refrigeration system is not designed to operate at temperatures over 120 degrees F.  Pitch can be set in pine by first drying the load to the target MC and then shutting off the compressor prior to turning the heat up to 160.  

Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions

OneWithWood

Hello, Joe and welcome to the forum!

I was thinking of enlarging my soon-to-be-built chamber to handle the occasional 20' boards.  I thought I could limit the capacity for shorter loads  (usually 16'-17') by employing baffles.  I have two fans that came with the kiln.  Should I add a third fan and if so, should I run it all the time or only when drying the longer wood?  I will be drying red and white oak, ash, maple and beech mostly.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Joe_Beaulieu

If you want to dry 20' lumber you need an additional fan.  The base unit was set up for 16' lumber.  I would wire the additional fan to a remote switch rather than the controller so that it could be shut off when drying shorter lengths.  You have the right idea w/the baffles.

Paul_H

It's been awhile but the kiln is finally ready to go.The last thing to do was seal the doors,and I had a retired carpenter help me do it properly.

I'm loading about 1800 bf of 1x8 D fir that will be flooring.I got the lumber from another mill on a trade for less that I could mill it.It is random length from 10' - 20' and am cutting it on a chop saw at 12 & 14' lengths,and trimming both ends so there is no grit that might screw up the planer.

I used backlight on some pics because the chamber is black,but it has alot of glare.

A shot of the fan,and fan truss.

We put aluminum around the doors with stainless steel nails to cover the joints between the plywood and the 1" foam insulation.It was gooped well with tar before getting slapped into place.The doors and walls are 8" thick.

Will post a few more later.

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Thank You Sponsors!