iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Keeping fit

Started by chain, December 23, 2013, 07:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

What is your ways of keeping fit especially in the dead of winter?

Whenever possible I walk and do light woods work. I think walking in the hills and mountains may be best overall, but I detest walking in flat muddy fields!

For pure exercise I thinking splitting firewood with a maul is excellent for keeping arms, shoulders, legs, in shape. Also relieves frustration and gives a sense of creating something useful.

Magicman

An afternoon swinging a chainsaw last week reminded me that I am un-fit.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SLawyer Dave

As my dad use to say, "Getting firewood warms you up 3 times, once when you cut it, once when you split it, and once when you burn it".  That doesn't even include when you are stacking and hauling it. 

After spending 4 years in a gym with a personal trainer trying to get myself just to the point I didn't feel like I was dieing from walking up a flight of stairs and bariatric surgery that helped me lose over 100 lbs, I found that cutting and splitting wood was fun again.  So I quit the gym and have been doing firewood for the last couple years as my "exercise routine".  This way rather than paying someone else to keep me working at something I really don't like, (exercise), I end up doing something I enjoy that results in valuable firewood that I give away to friends and family, and even sell a bit for some extra spending cash.

I try to process at least a cord a month using my Stihl 290 and 2 monster mauls.  I keep my mom filled up with wood, (her main heat), my step sister, my tenants, and this year a good friend of mine who just bought his first house.  I also sold 6 cords, (got one more to sell).  Going to use the money as extra spending cash when I take my mother, mother-in-law and wife to Hawaii in April. 

My doc says to keep doing whatever it is I am doing, (I also try to adhere to the Paleo Diet), I went from having Diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma and sleep apnea with a resting pulse of 77, (with all of the accompanying medicines), to normal blood pressure and sugar, no asthma/sleep apnea symptoms and a resting pulse of 52 and the only pill I take is a multivitamin.  While the years have certainly left their ravages, I haven't felt this good in close to 20 years.  So as long as I can continue to hold the saw and swing the mauls, I am going to do so. 

thecfarm

I know a guy that saws his winter wood with a bow saw,a new one man saw. His doctor wanted him to go to a gym because of his heart. He did not want the expense and the travel of it. He gets his wood in 4 foot lengths and saws it up through the year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Holmes

Chain  About how old are you?  My dad did a lot of hand cutting with a D saw , bow saw and splitting with ax and wedges and was very active til 90.  Personally I wear a pedometer "fitbit" and it keeps track of my milage every day. It can be an incentive to get up off the butt and put some milage on.  I also do a golf based exercise class twice a week , this has helped immensely with my stability and flexibility
Think like a farmer.

dgdrls

YMCA, 3 days a week minimum.

1) Arc Trainer AKA the punishment machine, 20-25 minutes to warm up and get a good sweat going,

2) upper and middle body weights/machines.

3) Five minutes on the stair climber to finish, move at 60 steps a minute minimum

all low impact stuff, I give an honest hour or more each time I go

I feel better;  physically and Mentally, look better (subjective of-course) ;), work better.

DGDrls

Peter Drouin

With all the wood I saw and pick up and put down is all the exercise I need  :D :D
Friday the 8"x 8" x 8' beams will get a mans hart going , :D :D 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

My wife wants to get back into the winter time exercise routine, I think Peter said what I told her, a day at the mill, sawing wood for the stove, and machine work is a plenty, although walks in the timber always feel good, lots of hills to work the cardio,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

A walk with the wife is most times a good thing  :D 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

pineywoods

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 29, 2013, 08:13:06 PM
A walk with the wife is most times a good thing  :D 8)

Amen to that. Wish I could take a walk with mine. I can't keep up with her power wheelchair  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!