iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I love

Started by Ronnie, May 03, 2014, 01:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronnie

I love sawmills and the tools that go with them. I love trees and the things that I can make out of them. I love the trucks and trailers that haul the logs and pull the mills. I love the buildings that house the mills and the rustic feel of the siding that covers them. I love planers, jointers, tablesaws, and chainsaws. I love timber frame structures and the chisels and saws that create them. I love time spent in the woods and wish I could spend more time there. Somehow I ended up an electrician. I try to figure out how to squeeze my passions into my life while working a full time job and taking care of a farm. There is very little time for the things I truly love.
TK2000, JD5075, Stihl 660,270,170.

hackberry jake

Ditto... I became a printing press operator. Really makes you think "theres a cabinet maker out there somewhere saying "I hate my job""
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Ianab

On the brighter side. If it's a hobby, you don't grow to hate doing it..  ???

Look at what other people spend on "hobbies". Buddy wants to buy a ~$50,000 boat to go fishing. Still needs to buy fishing tackle and gas etc on top of that.

So running a hobby size sawmill and a small woodwork shop is chicken feed compared to that. And I can build furniture, kids toys, wood for DIY stuff around the house etc. Go and price a nice solid wood kitchen table? Stuff you can build yourself from your own trees on Saturday afternoons. More productive than playing golf  ;)

Great thing about the internet is that you can learn all sorts of methods and short cuts from others.. and don't need to spend $1m to make a tree into a table.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

There is a difference between a hobby and a career.  My career was what it was and I enjoyed it.  My hobbies changed over the years and finally developed into a sorta retirement hobby career.  Looking back, I am glad that there was diversity.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sealark37

You have come to the right place to indulge your passions.  Do your best to allocate your time to family, work, and hobby.  Don't waste too much time between leaving and getting there.  It's all good.   Regards, Clark

SawyerBrown

Ronnie, great post!  "I loved" reading it.  Bet there's lots of folks on this Forum that feel the same way.  Thanks for putting it into words.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

schakey

Yes I am a truck driver dreaming of the day we get to retire,move to our hill,buy sawmill(woodmizer  :) ) and start building.
You said it well my friend.
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

never finished

I refer to my PH-260 as my bass boat. I never did like fishing.

wwsjr

When I lost my mill to fire last year, I seriously considering retiring again and not buying a new mill. I thought about taking the insurance money from the mill and buying a fishing boat, but then I thought, what would I do the 3rd day?
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

scully

My career has had it's ups and downs I am a fire protection service tech. That is kind of the top for me . I have only 2 more years and out at 55 . I love the work that I do but it is getting so hard to do the work in the industry for many reasons .  I find that Milling and all that is wood is the only thing I really care about anymore ! I am trying to be patient but I really want to go nutz with my mill under my own terms ,my own time, for my own satisfaction ! IMHO if anyone sawing is stressed out about it .....you're doing it wrong.....
I bleed orange  .

thecfarm

I don't have the wood working tools. Just a chainsaw. As I say,My woodworking skills stops when the tree hits the ground. But I love the woods and a sawmill. It's a nice relationship. Most that I know don't share the love that I have came to realize over the years. I get that from my Father. He was just about like me. Only get to enjoy the woods a little. But we cherish those moments. He never got to see me with a mill. But we looked at the one I brought many times at events.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

I too love sawmilling, I got into it later in my life, and believe knowing that years ago my great grandfather was a successful mill owner might be some of the reasons I have it in my blood.  My brother Kevin, (left us in 04')  was an inspiration to me, he always wanted a WMZ mill, he just thought they were the coolest things. He never got to see my mill, I purchased it after he passed. Sawing for me is very enjoyable, I especially like it on Saturday mornings, not sure why, it just seems peaceful. (when the logs behave ;D)  I really want to get into timber framing, but have yet to get into it.  Sawing out cabins is my favorite, next to sheds and barns,  production work such as ties and flooring lumber helps but seems boring after awhile. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Delawhere Jack

Whats not to love about being the first one to see God's great gift to us when you open up a log. :)

I made more money as an IT tech, but I'm much happier with sawdust in my pockets.  :)

shortlogger

I grew up in the log woods my dad started teaching me to fell timber when I was twelve. Everything we did revolved around the timber industry one way or another we ran a circle saw on the side and would build barns for people and my dad worked his way into building and remodeling homes but I kept cutting logs for a while then my dad convinced me to take a job in town with insurance and benefits but I couldn't get the woods out of my blood so I have been logging and milling on the side ever since . There's rarely a night that goes by that I don't dream of quitting this easy good paying job to jump back into the uncertainty of the timer industry . I have lots of hair brained ideas about niche markets that just might work . Two more years and I will have a decent herd of cattle and house paid off I just might get back in there full time !
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

mikeb1079

little baby ducks...old pickup trucks...slow moving trains....and sawmilling.   ;)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

AdamT

Quote from: mikeb1079 on May 04, 2014, 10:39:57 PM
little baby ducks...old pickup trucks...slow moving trains....and sawmilling.   ;)

Nice!!! Hahaha, I was singing that song in my head once I clicked on this thread, and while reading all the posts!

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

Ronnie

Tom T Hall kind of inspired that post. I also love gravy, red wine, beer, fresh garden vegetables, cleavage, planers, Jesus, and sawmill sheds.
TK2000, JD5075, Stihl 660,270,170.

thecfarm

Rock and roll. Put another dime in the jukebox baby ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SawyerBrown

I love reminders of early days on the farm, and I find many are smells: freshly cut alfalfa, corn during harvest and later in the crib, diesel fuel, diesel exhaust, warm apple pie, freshly mown grass, sheets that have dried on the clothesline, sweet corn when you first pull back the shucks ...
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Thank You Sponsors!