iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying hickory an ash together

Started by MIsawyer, July 25, 2014, 09:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIsawyer

Would drying hickory and ash together work?  I am using a conventional kiln, I run a pretty aggressive hickory schedule but would the high humidity early hurt the ash other than just some  mild surface staining that will surface out?

red oaks lumber

ash can handle a greater moisture loss than hickory, if you have good air flow in the kiln ,i dont forsee any issues
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Den Socling

Thinking about the green moisture content for Ash, it's around 42%, and that makes it nearly indestructible. It doesn't have pronounced rays ready to split on you, either.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I see a high risk of sticker stain in the ash.  Plus there is a small risk of grey stain in the interior, especially if the hickory schedule starts over 115 F.  My suggestion is to avoid this mix unless the wood is well air dried.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

CRThomas

Quote from: MIsawyer on July 25, 2014, 09:23:13 AM
Would drying hickory and ash together work?  I am using a conventional kiln, I run a pretty aggressive hickory schedule but would the high humidity early hurt the ash other than just some  mild surface staining that will surface out?
I am making a test run now drying Hickory and Ash in different ways. I have 4 rank set up. One rank is sticked and stacked I cut the pieces short and fat they are drying faster than all the rest that is on only one rank. I do not sell bulk fire wood so it would not work for me. So I think I will stick and stack my wood now top row the bark up so see about bundling some hard wood. I have a semi load of rock cherry to start on tomarrow I sell it for cooking wood its been stacked for over a year in chunks. I got caught up for a few days so I am going to do some get caught up work. My daughters came and help me bundle wood so we got 1500 bundles ready when the customers get low. Its 01:00 now I have to be up at 05:00 to get started agin. Later   

MIsawyer

Thanks for the input everyone i am going to try and avoid the combo but if i have to run them together i will make sure they have some good air 

Thank You Sponsors!