iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

nyle L53 heat strip

Started by wills swamp, April 26, 2016, 05:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wills swamp

is there a way to test if the heat strip is working?
kiln doesn't seem to get up to temp as it once did
thanks
wills swamp custom sawing-2002 wood-mizer lt40/hydraulic/d33,nyle L53 kiln,case 1845sp,massey203/loader/farmi winch,john deere 450c crawler/loader,husqvana saws,logrite tools

WDH

You should be able to look down through the fan on the left side of the unit and see the heat strips.  I assume that if they are working, they will be glowing red. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

wills swamp

Is it a fact while the compressor is running the heat strips are not?  Also does green wood put out more heat than air dried? thanks.
wills swamp custom sawing-2002 wood-mizer lt40/hydraulic/d33,nyle L53 kiln,case 1845sp,massey203/loader/farmi winch,john deere 450c crawler/loader,husqvana saws,logrite tools

scsmith42

My L200 has a thermal limiter switch that usually has to be replaced about every two years.  It's a standard HVAC item and when it goes bad your heat strips don't work.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

YellowHammer

The heat strips in a Nyle 53 are only 1 KW, and with the fans on the "chimney" running, they will only feel slightly warm, as the moving air cools them.  If you disable the fans, the strip will get very hot, but they are sized not to get overly hot during normal operation for safety.  If you have a thermometer, you should see the temperature rise slightly out of the chimney when the strips are running.  The air will not be hot, but warm. 

When you command for heat on on the control unit, you should hear the heater relay click loudly inside the controller.  That doesn't necessarily means the strips are working only that power is being applied to the circuit.  If you open the side access panel of the DH, you will see the heat strip circuitry and the the heat strips are held in by sheet metal screw on both sides of the unit.  It is very easy to remove if needed.  Some quick checking with a voltmeter will help you troubleshoot the system, if it is not working.

Scsmith42,
I will keep an eye on my limiter switch.  Good info.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

scsmith42

Quote from: YellowHammer on April 28, 2016, 11:01:26 PM
The heat strips in a Nyle 53 are only 1 KW, and with the fans on the "chimney" running, they will only feel slightly warm, as the moving air cools them.  If you disable the fans, the strip will get very hot, but they are sized not to get overly hot during normal operation for safety.  If you have a thermometer, you should see the temperature rise slightly out of the chimney when the strips are running.  The air will not be hot, but warm. 

When you command for heat on on the control unit, you should hear the heater relay click loudly inside the controller.  That doesn't necessarily means the strips are working only that power is being applied to the circuit.  If you open the side access panel of the DH, you will see the heat strip circuitry and the the heat strips are held in by sheet metal screw on both sides of the unit.  It is very easy to remove if needed.  Some quick checking with a voltmeter will help you troubleshoot the system, if it is not working.

Scsmith42,
I will keep an eye on my limiter switch.  Good info.

It's easy to spot - it's in the 240VAC circuit inside the kiln unit between the incoming wires and the heat strips.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

wills swamp

WDH

Wills,

Stan at Nyle told me that the heat strips and the compressor cannot run at the same time on the L53 as their is not enough power (110 volts) to run both at the same time.  The compressor has precedence, and when the compressor comes on, the heat strips cut off. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!