iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2020 ??

Started by Magicman, January 01, 2020, 07:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donbj

Quote from: Quebecnewf on April 01, 2020, 05:17:58 AM
Have sawed a few this spring but still lots of snow here . There are 300 logs approx scattered about in this pic . Can you see them  

Quebecnewf

Looks like a good place for social isolating! :D
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

SawyerTed

Sawing 5/8 inch mountain siding.  It's going to be delivered stacked tomorrow morning and installed on Saturday.

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

tule peak timber

Another big butt bites the dust.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

cutterboy

From huge butt logs in the west to a small crooked log in the east.

Unfortunately there was rot in the log. Sometimes ugly logs make great looking lumber and sometimes they don't. 
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

tule peak timber

RichTired

Dig the rotten wood out and fill the void with epoxy. Value added... 8)
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

WV Sawmiller

Yes, remove and replace and make a set of circular benches.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

caveman

While socially distancing on our spring break last week John and I got a few more loads of longleaf pine.  He and I sawed a little over the weekend and I sawed some yesterday and today after my on line meetings.  

The youngest cavegirl got some home school, hands on education today.  She measured and cut some 2x4's for a lumber pallet and then nailed the 1x's on.  Afterwards, she got to figure out how many bf we used to make the pallet.

A few pics.  I have a good whack of logs stashed near the place we cut them and I hauled a few more home yesterday morning on the bumper pull trailer.  Five or six more trailer loads and I should have them home.

Rob, I'm glad to see you are back to sawing big stuff.  It amazes me with the products you turn out.

The loader operator trying to extract a longleaf pine with its taproot.  We got three logs out of this one.

John realizing that we have some lumber stacking looking us dead in the face.

A few boards from yesterday afternoon.  Some became a pallet this morning.

I did not think a little wane would matter on a pallet's 1x10.  This afternoon I sawed some logs that I have had since late last summer.  I slabbed them heavy and most had really nice wood but they will mostly be relegated to pallets and saw donkeys (the short ones seen holding the lumber piles).
Caveman

WDH

Kyle, that trailer is squalling. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Danny, I built it several years ago.  It has Dexter 7000 lb. drop axles.  I moved the spring pads to the bottom of the axles and mounted the springs underneath in order to get it as low as possible.  I like to be able to load my bronco or tractor without having to use the ramps.  It is pretty stout for a small trailer.

I have to do more online teacher stuff today and then can build another pallet, stack some wood, take blades to drop off on the porch of the man who sharpens for us and hopefully make some more saw dust.

This social distancing and working from home is beginning to feel a lot like retirement - I finally have time to get some much needed chores done.
Caveman

tule peak timber

I really admire the fact that your daughter is helping........ :) :) :)

Magicman

Old saying about all is well that ends well, but my beginning was not well.

My first in 18 years of sawing.  :-\

No jack needed when you have FAO's. 

Yup, road hazard.  :-X

Today's logs, 18 scattered out where I need to set the sawmill up.

Didn't take but a few minuted so adjust the log whack.

Grandson Luke is ready to start sawing.

OK, I am the Magicman but I ain't a magician nor can I perform miracles.  We did have some nice yield from this twister.

10', 12', & 16' all 2X6's from 5 logs.  ~1252 bf even after getting a late start after the tire failure.  With thirteen logs to go it's iffy whether I will finish tomorrow.  I hope so because the state virus shutdown begins at 5:00PM. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

Good job Mr. Lynn.  Way to persevere. It was only flat on the bottom.   I hope you and your grandson enjoyed working together today.
Caveman

Kwill

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

Milled several cedar logs today making 4x4s. Trying to get my pile here at the house all milled before Monday. Got offered a job working in town and start monday. Was gonna try milling full time but with everything going on a guaranteed paycheck will be nice. Wont get to mill as much but I will still get to.

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Is the lockdown going to shut your mobile sawing down? As defined by our state I can still continue to do mobile sawing. I sure envy you those 2X pine jobs. My last tiny job was 10/4 one side live edge and a real pleasure to do. One cut on top to square it off, rotate 90 degrees then 4-5 cuts and the log was done.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Darrel

@Magicman I had a day start like that a little over a year ago when I was on my way to a job. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

doc henderson

@Kwill at your age I bet you can do both!  good luck with the new job!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

Howard, yes the 2X jobs are my bread-n-butter.  This entire job will be 2X6's and about a dozen 2X10's.  No 2X4's or 1".

I have not seen any real definition about our "work related" travel so I do not plan to push it.  I"ll be back home by 5 this afternoon but I do have a plan for sawing tomorrow.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

MM, is your spare mounted to the mill.  If it is, please post a photo of your setup.  

Wednesday, I was getting the mill ready to travel and discovered the battery dead.  The key was not left in the on position.   When I was accessing the battery, I noticed, for the first time, a warning decal stating that mill head should not be on contact strip if the mill is not being run.  Two things come to mind.  1. There is something in the hydraulic box pulling small current.  2. wet sawdust conducting small current from the contact strip to the frame.   

The battery is holding a charge, but may be near the end of its six year life.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WV Sawmiller

6acre,

First I ever heard about the warning about the head not being in contact with the power strip when not in use. I almost always leave mine in contact. With the LT35 the switch does not even have to be on for the hydraulics to work. I routinely raise and lower the lifting arms and feet and such before I ever turn the mill on. I'll look through my manual again and see if I missed such a warning. Which section was it in?
Howard Green

jeepcj779

WV,
 I think he indicated it was on a label in the battery box.

WV Sawmiller

Thanks - I look closer at mine. I have not had any issues with the battery or charging or such. Mill is about 5 years old. (Watch me go out and find it is dead now. ::))
Howard Green

Kwill

Quote from: doc henderson on April 02, 2020, 11:59:54 PM
@Kwill at your age I bet you can do both!  good luck with the new job!
Thanks doc. Yeah I will mill when I get home in the evenings and days off.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

WV Sawmiller

Computer ate my post while looking at the last picture. I hate when that happens.

Sawed 4 one year old stock maple logs I rolled off the mountain last year about this time with a cant hook and ATV and long cable eventually. 8' because could not move longer logs. I was afraid going bad but all were very solid with spalting on the ends. I guess I was surprised the spalting did not go further into the centers than it did. I cut into 8/4 LE for benches and one into 10/4 edged for legs.

Here are the "logs" The ugly top made 4 LE planks that will probably turn out to be the prettiest benches as they have the most character with the knots and limb cut-offs and such.

Stored in my new shed. 252 bf yield. I got one 4/4 and one half inch trim cut that I edged and will make into cutting boards. The boards on top are from that ugly knotty piece.

Jeep,

You were right - the discharge warning is on the battery box on mine too but I never thought of it that way.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!