Whatcha Sawin' 2020 ??

Started by Magicman, January 01, 2020, 07:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: KirkD on January 07, 2020, 11:37:27 AM
Quote from: Jim_Rogers on January 06, 2020, 04:35:11 PM
Well, it wasn't very warm out there today, but that comment should be in the weather thread.
But I lowered the loading arms so I could load the first log of 2020 to be milled.
They didn't lower far enough due to the ice on the driveway:

But I did manage to get a log loaded and cut out an 8x10x16' timber for a timber frame customer. This is a plate.
along with some 4x4s and 2by.

Jim Rogers
Jim,
It looks like you need to cut a pair of wedges for yourself to use.
Well, I guess I could, but Bob is here now to help me:

He does all the heavy lifting around the sawmill yard.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

tule peak timber

Inbound live oak today. Hard to deal with, hard to dry, hard to finish- one of our best sellers....

Anderson

Quote from: Brad_bb on January 05, 2020, 11:24:21 PM
@Anderson What are the green buckets?  I'm assuming this is saw dust.  What are you doing with it?  Looks like you'd have to stoop over a lot to pick those up.  I just keep 3 rubbermaid 42 gallon garbage cans near the mill for dust, bark, etc.  I burn all my dust and bark.  If you have woods around, that is a lot of fuel, then that may not be a good option unless you can burn somewhere in the open.  You don't want any fireflies to come out of the burn barrels and start something.  Where I burn has gravel and mowed grass, but I don't burn when it's dry or when it's windy.  
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=95735.msg1476521#msg1476521
The green buckets are mineral tubs I..err..procured at the "dumpstore" ( dumpster) ;D  I was throwing the sawdust in them to put on my truck later.  I haul logs to our mill shed and back haul lumber,slabs and sawdust. No real good place to burn anything at my place or the mill shed where I can keep a eye on it.  so I just pile it and let it rot. Slabs mostly go to friends for firewood and we burn some ourselves for heat. 
I am still hauling stone for the road to the shed, so don't have wet weather access with my truck yet but when I do, I plan to load it with slabs, sawdust and lumber right off the mill. Touch everything as few times as possible. :) 

bwstout

home built mill

olcowhand

Quote from: tule peak timber on January 07, 2020, 02:59:47 PM
Inbound live oak today. Hard to deal with, hard to dry, hard to finish- one of our best sellers....

Tule Peak, That table is very nice. In a sorta related topic, I signed up for an Epoxy river table class in Sarasota, FL next month, and I chose Live Oak for my project. I'm taking the class to gain more confidence in working with my own slabs, and your pic makes me glad I chose that type.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

tule peak timber

Thanks for the comment. We have two types of live oak here (coastal and canyon ) and they make cool table material. The river table thing has become super popular in epoxy when it started out as inset glass and was pretty expensive. I sell a lot of river table kits to folks who want to save some money. Good luck in your class!
  The two live oaks from around here.  Rob

olcowhand

The character in each of those pieces is evident. Very nice.
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

tule peak timber

Inbound black oak this morning.

alan gage

Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

tule peak timber

Inbound live oak logs this afternoon. Some are pretty nice....

Bruno of NH

Mill up some more hard maple slabs for inventory. 
Hemlock 2x4 x10 for inventory and 1.5" live edge hemlock for a landscape supply company.
Used the frost notch bands in both it cut great.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

Looks good.  Now here is wishing for your inventory to disappear.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tule peak timber

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

What did that register on the Richter scale? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

tule peak timber

Funny , we have had 4 strong quakes here today not including the log.We run an average of 4-5 rumblers a day above 2. something....

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

WOW!!
I have cut trees,eastern white pine 4 feet across. When the tree starts to fall I always shut the saw off to hear the noise!!
I see you braced the trailer up too.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tule peak timber

Quote from: thecfarm on January 09, 2020, 03:53:08 PM
WOW!!
I have cut trees,eastern white pine 4 feet across. When the tree starts to fall I always shut the saw off to hear the noise!!
I see you braced the trailer up too.  ;)
Good eye on the trailer bunks- we have learned from experience......Sorry I didn't do too well on the video upload.

Jcald327

Some ?sugar maple?
Trees been down for a couple years, using it as practice although definitely still had some really good wood inside, and although the end piece I cut off had spalting across the entire cut, spalting throughout the log was limited to a very soft and punky sapwood :(.

Left myself a nice slab with a lot of ray flecks, really never noticed maple doing this, but I'm wet behind ears here when it comes to milling.  

Lucas 8-27 w/ slabber
Husqvarna 395xp 32, 42 inch
Rancher 455 24 inch
Stihl 271 20 inch
Grandberg 66 alaska mill
Lowrider cnc 4x8 capacity
Logrite mega 78 and 60

DennisK

1st pic looks like a cow/calf pair, or a mare & a foal.

Jcald327

Quote from: DennisK on January 10, 2020, 07:14:45 PM
1st pic looks like a cow/calf pair, or a mare & a foal.
Not following lol, you mean small version and big version of same log?  Long on left was a poplar I cut up yesterday, didnt take any pictures because I was grumpy thinking something was wrong with my mill.  There kinda was, I was only turning 3200 rpm and the governor wasn't kicking as hard as it should to even maintain that.  Oh and I was pretty far out of left/right/front/back alignment.  Now at 3725-3750, the mill bogs to 3600 and honestly takes way more pushing that I think it should to get it under 3500, even on 5 to 6 inch undercuts.
Lucas 8-27 w/ slabber
Husqvarna 395xp 32, 42 inch
Rancher 455 24 inch
Stihl 271 20 inch
Grandberg 66 alaska mill
Lowrider cnc 4x8 capacity
Logrite mega 78 and 60

DennisK

From where that chip is to the bottom of pic, that looks like a good live edge foyer table.

Southside

@doc henderson calls that Kansas Maple,  :D the rest of us call it white oak. Nice job there! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!