iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2020 ??

Started by Magicman, January 01, 2020, 07:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

@Larry what do the green marks signify for you?  go to mill?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Larry

We had a tornado in Rogers a few months ago.  1,000's of trees down, lots of big ones.  I believe this customer was marking logs for me to saw with a green dot.  A lot of the logs were shattered by the twister and go to the landfill or firewood.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

bwstout

This cant is out of a SYP about 28" at the but with very little taper and no limbs log was clear. I drop down to 2 inches above the center and cut the cant in half the drop down 2 inches cut a slab then another slab. The I put he first slab back on to cut some 2x4 and about half though the fist cut it began to bow and did that 1 more time. My question is why and how do you saw 2x4 that will stay straight.  

Then my mind was trying to figure out why the warp and then this happen cant chew gum and walk at the same time  ;D I will say cooks blades cut nice but 1 1/2x1/4 tubing will round the teeth off and slow reactions makes this :D

It cut a # 50 chain before the stop was cut nearly off.

home built mill

caveman

We sawed a few of the longleaf pine logs that we cut last week.  We started with a sample 7/47 WM band and it did well until we encountered a log with a few knots.  After this band started diving, we switched to a Kasco 1.5", 7°.  It still did not cut completely flat when encountering knots but the deflection was less.  

WM 7/47

Kasco, 7 degree 1.5" blade with less deflection when encountering knot.  It was hot as blue blazes today, 92°F at 7 P.M. but we sawed for about four hours and cut a little less than 1300 bf of some pretty good looking pine.  Tomorrow we will sticker stack it.  We have ordered a box of 4° bands.  Hopefully they will cut flatter when we hit the hard knots and saw the live oak and hickory that are on deck.
Caveman

Bruno of NH

Caveman,
Want to cut flat in big hard knots give this band a try .It eats the big knots

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

btulloh

Live oak and hickory. They both saw easy.   smiley_devil smiley_devil smiley_devil   :D :D :D

But at least it's not pine knots. 

Looking forward to seeing how those blades do. 
HM126

caveman

Bruno, I don't doubt you but that blade of yours looks like a serrated steak knife.  

We have come to realize that a sawmill is a component between a lot of work on either end.  Fell the trees, buck the logs, repair the trailer brakes, air up leaky trailer tires, load and haul the logs, unload and stack the logs, saw the logs (sawmill), sticker stack the boards, move and burn the slabs, kiln dry the boards, and then try to sell or use them.

I think MagicMan has it figured out.  I am a slow learner.
Caveman

Bruno of NH

That blade type will cut flat in big knots,frozen hard maple, iron wood and yellow birch like butter better than the Kasco 4° bands I run and 1/3 the cost.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Kwill

Got started a little late this evening because of the rain.  Cutting some cedar 1/2 siding for my dad's trailer shed I built him last year.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Banjo picker

Well Bruno,  what is it? 
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

beav

Also Bruno, how do you sharpen that blade?

Bruno of NH

DW bands makes them they are out of Pa.
They are still open just got some on Friday. 
They can sharpen them.
I wouldn't have sawed all winter without them.
To frustrating with frozen logs.

Bruno of NH

I run them in 1.25 .050 171" on my wide head mill
The flex life is awsome
$16.75 per band delivered
They have a new version in 1.5 that's even better I hear.
This band saved my business, as I can now winter saw in full confidence with perfect lumber.
I will still use 747's and ripper 37's in 7° for easy to saw logs in the summer. In winter sawing theses mentioned bands dull to fast in frozen logs.

trimguy

I almost maxed my mill out . I definitely maxed me out. 27" butt 24' long . I need hydraulics .  :o

trimguy

I forgot to get end of day pictures because I was so wore out. Bad morning in" Did something dumb today " I think this would have made some nice tables, but I needed some 24' framing lumber and didn't know where I could get anymore 24' logs.

DPatton

Not many people need a 24' long table. I'd say you chose wisely.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

WV Sawmiller

I cut a big dead ash tree a week or back and been burning the top and limbs for firewood. I got a few boards and some framing out of the uppers now today I started on the 15' butt log. The SED is about 26"+ and a lot of flare at the base. I trimmed it down to a 12" cant and sawed 5 - 2X12X15 and still have 2 more on the cant and several more 2X4 to 2X6 to trim out. I got a couple of wide trim cuts 1/2"-3/4" I am real happy to get. I will likely make them into cutting boards. We have one in the house we have been using several years and we are real happy with it. I ran out of daylight so I will finish edging and finish the cant in the morning.

Big ash log - lots of flare to trim off. A little punk and spalting on the edge but the center was very solid. Note to self - 15' ash 2X12's are very heavy.

First 4 - 2X12's. All John can handle. I'll finish in about 30 more minutes in the morning.

EDIT/Update: I finished this morning just as it started to rain. 300 bf out of the log. I did saw some more thin 12" wide pieces to make more cutting boards. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

tule peak timber

An incense cedar butt today.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Magicman

I began my today's sawing after the rain stopped.  Three 26' logs to be bucked into 12's and about a dozen "uglies".

The cut list is for only 1" lumber.  We were progressing fairly well until my customer's boss called and told him to report to work tomorrow leaving nothing for us to do but shut the sawing down and tally.

My 25 year old female tailgunner shows the 1107 bf that we sawed before the shutdown.

The dozen uglies will have to wait for another day, but he did give me a $50 tip.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Are they going to leave the stack with your tailgunner stacked that wide? I try to tell folks not to stack over 4' wide if possible. I always understood the wide stacks don't get enough air flow to dry properly. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

It will all be nailed up on the building soon, so there will be very little drying.  Kinda like your shed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

"I see said the blind man to the deaf wife on the telephone." Thanks for the update. 
Howard Green

Quebecnewf

Have sawed a few this spring but still lots of snow here . There are 300 logs approx scattered about in this pic . Can you see them 

Quebecnewf

Quebecnewf

And the pic is upside not sure why it was posted to my gallery right side up . Guess our fearless adm will fix it

Sorry

Quebecnewf

Note from fearless adm:  Pic fixed.  

Vautour

..haha couldn't tell the difference looking at the pick..tricky on the eye tho.. snowing here today from your neighbor province in NB :'( 
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Thank You Sponsors!