iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2020 ??

Started by Magicman, January 01, 2020, 07:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWyatt

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 20, 2020, 10:02:49 AM
@DWyatt ,

I like that second picture of the slab with a crotch that looks like a happy Bhuddah with his arms in the air. I bet you can sell that to a Chinese buffet if you try. ;D
When I took the opening cut off that piece, I held it up and ran to the slab pile as if I was running away from the mill with my arms in the air :D

Banjo picker

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 20, 2020, 10:02:49 AM
@DWyatt ,

I like that second picture of the slab with a crotch that looks like a happy Bhuddah with his arms in the air. I bet you can sell that to a Chinese buffet if you try. ;D
Howard, you might want to back off that pain medicine just a little bit.😁 Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

tule peak timber

More progress today . Check out the guy up in the truss.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Old Greenhorn

I feel like I just took another step toward becoming a journeyed sawyer. I just got a request from a potential customer who would like to buy 3) 8/4 x 10x 12' that he looked at Saturday and wanted to know if I could rip each into 3 equal pieces of 3.5". Let me see...... 3 x 3.5=10.5 plus 2x kerf .. um, nope. ;D
 You guys get this all the time, this is new for me. I am already tired of it, and it just started. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WDH

Very little sapwood in that walnut.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on July 20, 2020, 05:20:44 PMI feel like I just took another step toward becoming a journeyed sawyer. I just got a request from a potential customer who would like to buy 3) 8/4 x 10x 12' that he looked at Saturday and wanted to know if I could rip each into 3 equal pieces of 3.5". Let me see...... 3 x 3.5=10.5 plus 2x kerf .. um, nope. ;D
You guys get this all the time, this is new for me. I am already tired of it, and it just started. :D
OGH,

You need to look back through the old threads here where the sawyer, I think it was @Banjo picker ) described adding a drip tank filled with wood glue and an hourglass looking container filled with screened, dry sawdust. As I remember when he resawed  his lumber as you are describing above the glue dripped on the spinning blade then immediately picked up a load of sawdust and added the extra width on both sides of the resawed boards as a sort of reverse kerf. Sounds like if you set your mill up this way and made a couple passes like that you should end up with the 3- 3.5" pieces your customer is looking for. 

I haven't actually tried that system and can't swear that it will work but either it will or Banjo was wrong - or maybe I got my meds mixed up again. ;) :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

GAB

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on July 20, 2020, 05:20:44 PM
I feel like I just took another step toward becoming a journeyed sawyer. I just got a request from a potential customer who would like to buy 3) 8/4 x 10x 12' that he looked at Saturday and wanted to know if I could rip each into 3 equal pieces of 3.5". Let me see...... 3 x 3.5=10.5 plus 2x kerf .. um, nope. ;D
For many math is not a strong suit.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

terrifictimbersllc

Get the laser option on your mill then you can take the job. :laugh:
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

TT,

I have enough trouble cutting the tips off my side supports with my blade. I can only imagine how much damage I could do with a lazer. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

Quote from: GAB on July 20, 2020, 07:05:03 PM
For many math is not a strong suit.
GAB
Its OK.  He went to Auburn. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Luke and I will be sawing pecker poles for a couple more days.

16' SYP, nothing over ~14" butt, and all will be 2X4 & 2X6 framing lumber.

Luke started the morning with a brand new leather waist apron.

And this is how it looked at the end of the day.  It did it's job very well indeed.

Luke did a good job training the tailgunner trainees with the Logrites.

Shoveling sawdust.

And wirebrushing some dirt from the log.

So I gave him some instructions on the sawmill control panel.

We sawed ~1200 bf today and will have about two more days on this job.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Some blue 2x4's and 2x6's....

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: WDH on July 20, 2020, 09:09:45 PM
Quote from: GAB on July 20, 2020, 07:05:03 PMFor many math is not a strong suit.
GAB
Its OK.  He went to Auburn.  
Danny,

Why don't you go scratch a flea or redbug or clean whatever body parts those warty old UGA bulldogs are likely to clean. headscratch taz-smiley running-doggy :D

Howard Green

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on July 20, 2020, 09:12:21 PMSome blue 2x4's and 2x6's....
Not beetle killed so no blue.  These trees were removed when the customer cleared for his lake.  This framing lumber will be used for the customer's cabin build.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 20, 2020, 09:44:29 PM
Quote from: WDH on July 20, 2020, 09:09:45 PM
Quote from: GAB on July 20, 2020, 07:05:03 PMFor many math is not a strong suit.
GAB
Its OK.  He went to Auburn.  
Danny,

Why don't you go scratch a flea or redbug or clean whatever body parts those warty old UGA bulldogs are likely to clean. headscratch taz-smiley running-doggy :D
Well, I don't know where he went to school (I think he has a degree in music education) his math didn't quite match up with mine. Either way we will get it straightened out in the end. He says I quoted him $20. a board, but he also said they were 12'. I have a lot of boards and I am not sure which ones he is referring to. But my price on a 12' 2x8 is $30. (1.50/BF). I will have to remeasure the boards I think he is talking about, I do not believe they were 12'.
 As for the add on glue thing, no thanks. I can't imagine what the glue would do the the blade. ANd some folks think pine sap is bad.  :D 
 WV hasn't your painkiller prescription run out yet? Seems like you may have been double dipping here and there.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

longtime lurker

Quote from: Don P on July 19, 2020, 11:27:27 PM
Wow! Looks like you got a raise, stepladder and office with a view  :D.

What is it and how much did that yield?
Black Penda... tropical rainforest hardwood.... awfully hard wood really, and plenty of silica as well...not enough grunt in a lucas mill (or any other portable saw really) for deep cuts but... just nibble  away at it and you'll get there: plenty bang for the buck on a big log anyway.
No idea on the yield, I never really keep track of individual log yeilds in hardwood unless we're doing a cut trial. One good log or bad log is neither here nor there - it's all about the average. He had a few shakes, estimate in the high 40's (%) recovery on a 4.5m3 log
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

cutterboy

That's right Magicman, put those kids to work! smiley_whip  :D :D 
But seriously, it's great to see kids taking an interest on what's going on around them and willing to get involved in it. Some kids are good workers....what they lack in strength they make up for in enthusiasm. Good for you Magicman, for taking the time to show the boy the workings of the mill. I'm sure he will remember for a long time the day the sawmill came to his house and sawed his logs into lumber. And he helped to do it! 
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

WV Sawmiller

I like this. I have been having trouble finding good dependable help when I should have done what the MagicMan does and just raised my own. The only issue I saw was those kids were confused about which LogRite to use. That's understandable - most of us would have suffered the same issue when offered such a confusing array to pick from.

My problem is I only have 3 local granddaughters and they believe manual labor is a Hispanic gardener or something and the other 2 are 200+ miles away. My only grandson is 3.5 years old and while I am sure he would love to help he's a little light to be turning logs and his attention span is somewhat lacking. I don't think we can find steel toed sandals in his size either. 
Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 21, 2020, 09:07:12 AM
  I like this. I have been having trouble finding good dependable help when I should have done what the MagicMan does and just raised my own. The only issue I saw was those kids were confused about which LogRite to use. That's understandable - most of us would have suffered the same issue when offered such a confusing array to pick from.

My problem is I only have 3 local granddaughters and they believe manual labor is a Hispanic gardener or something and the other 2 are 200+ miles away. My only grandson is 3.5 years old and while I am sure he would love to help he's a little light to be turning logs and his attention span is somewhat lacking. I don't think we can find steel toed sandals in his size either.
The trick is to find things they CAN do. My 4 y/o grandson was a huge help building a drying rack last week, he could hold up one end of the stringer while I nailed the other and hand me tools etc. We shop long and hard for work gloves in their sizes and buy them when we find them. I insist at least on sneakers for working with me, at this point they don't get into things that would crush or cut a boot. Those youngsters can really take the edge off a workday for me, but sometimes they create that edge. ;D

WV Sawmiller

I envy OGH and the MagicMan being able to work with grandkids. I started helping dad when I was 6 and too small to do anything but carry water or such. Before I could drive he'd hire an adult helper to go with me to take me to the site. I knew and could do and supervise the work but could not get there legally.

When my brothers and left home for college and such Dad would hire local neighborhood kids as helpers. At first if they were real young he did not pay them much and would have them do tasks like hold one end of a tape measure while he measured a chain link fence location or such. As they got older and able to do more he would raise their pay accordingly. The first thing he would do would be to take them to our local shoe shop and get them a pair of steel toed shoes. As he said a kid can hand you a hammer or hold a tape as good as an adult. I don't know how many times during the day while working alone it would have saved me so much effort to have someone hand me a dropped tool or run get me another nail or hold that board till I got a permanent screw in place.
Howard Green

Magicman

We had a rain event that stopped us today but we only have 24 more logs to saw so Luke and I should finish sawing this job tomorrow. 

The customer told me this afternoon that all that his boys talked about last night was sawing and the sawmill.  I believe that they were "star struck".  The good thing is that they are putting "sweat equity" into their cabin build.

richhiway

Just love seeing those boys working on the mill. I started out fixing garbage trucks with my neighbor when I was around 10. Fifty years later I can still remember the jobs we did.

Those boys will never forget their accomplishments.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

cutterboy

Hi all. I have been sawing white pine the last few days. Nothing really special or unusual, just 4/4 and 8/4 boards for siding or whatever. I cut a lot of 12" wide in both thicknesses. I don't usually saw pine in the summer but because of circumstances I had to. I cut down two large and tall trees about five weeks ago. I sold 7 of the largest logs to a chainsaw carver and kept the rest for myself. My logs were stacked up off the ground so the bugs wouldn't get them and left till the sap dried out. They sawed very well and the pine pitch was not a problem.

My next sawing project will be red maple.

All the best.....Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

tule peak timber

Trimming a table today.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Old Greenhorn

Man I love that saw, it cuts like a milling machine! Wish I owned one, but I do have one I can borrow when the need arises. It's a beast.

Thank You Sponsors!