iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2020 ??

Started by Magicman, January 01, 2020, 07:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

That much fly dust indicates that you are not sawing fresh felled but dry/seasoned logs.  If so you are a very brave man. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

They look like the ones I sawed for my attorney 2 weeks ago. He wants them all 4X4 and would throw a 6" X 5' "log" on the mill and I'd sort of skip cut each side and try to at least get some square surface on each side. Every now and then he'd throw a 7" crooked post up there and ask me if we could get a 6X6 out of it. No - not gonna happen. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bruno of NH

I'm getting 3"×5"×8' , 4"×4"×8 and 3" thick × live edge × 8'long that I will point with a chainsaw and sell as ag fence post.
I have bigger and longer logs im saving for 6"×6" stock.
This is the first load of 4 loads coming in.
The guy cutting thinks everything is a saw log  :D
I will make something out of them and market it to sell.
That's part of the fun for me. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

SpaceBus

Quote from: Bruno of NH on July 27, 2020, 07:07:22 PM
I'm getting 3"×5"×8' , 4"×4"×8 and 3" thick × live edge × 8'long that I will point with a chainsaw and sell as ag fence post.
I have bigger and longer logs im saving for 6"×6" stock.
This is the first load of 4 loads coming in.
The guy cutting thinks everything is a saw log  :D
I will make something out of them and market it to sell.
That's part of the fun for me.
I treat pretty much any log as a saw log, but I'm really just trying to get some experience sawing before I try and build something more than a garden bed or chicken coop with my lumber.  
Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

goose63

Why ie it when you run out of logs 6 people call asking for 2x10s or thy want them 2 feet longer than you have no I don't have a log strecher yet 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

terrifictimbersllc

I'm glad I never have any logs. Well, almost. :-\ 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

That's one of the reasons I try to keep logs as long as I can. I tell people there is the same bf in a 1X8 as a 2X4 but once cut I am stuck with what I guessed which is as often wrong as right. Of course there is a limit to the number of logs you can hold and how long you can hold them before they go bad.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Darrel

I had a wack of juniper logs and a guy wanted me to saw fence boards for him. I told him I would and then he called and said "hold off for a bit, I don't have the cash right now." So I waited and waited and didn't hear from him. I had my own project come up and I sliced them up for myself. The next day he calls and wants his fence boards. 

Oh well. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

WV Sawmiller

I guess I'd told him "I'll let you know when I get some more logs in and if you are still interested then, I'll saw them for you." Or offered him any alternatives I had available, if any.
Howard Green

TimW

Friday my log guy delivered these Red Oak and Pine logs.

Today he delivered these Pine and Red Oak logs.  Two whacks make a lot of logs.

Last week I finished milling 10 foot 2x6s for my friends deck.

When I get a chance, I mill some more 6x6s (cut to 7x7 now) sixteen footers for my sawmill shed.

.....and some more 4x4 deck posts.

These posts will be soaked a day in copper naphthenate.  I already have 8 4x4s already soaked and dried to a brownish color.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Magicman

Nice sawing and logs.  Looks like you have been and are gonna be busy.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on July 29, 2020, 07:57:54 AM
Nice sawing and logs.  Looks like you have been and are gonna be busy.  8)
Monday, I started getting the logs organized and off the ground.  Then I heard a strange noise from the tractor's right front tire.  It was a leak from a sidewall crack.  The tire is at the tire shop waiting for tube as I type this.  Hope to get it back today so I can get busy.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Magicman

I'll be sawing SYP & ERC Friday and Saturday which should go find and dandy, but Monday's whack has me a bit concerned.  PatD, Marty, and I moved my 5th wheel camper to that site this afternoon and got a look at the ~year old logs.

All Red Oak, some in the 20"+ range and then there are a few 34"+.

Some 16' and some that will have to be bucked back to 20'.  :o  The main concern is that all of the logs will have to be skidded up a slight hill about 50' and turned 90°.  Next week will be interesting for Luke and me.   ::)

JJ

@Bindian , your farm is very nice and well setup. Love the pictures and the Purina door.

JJ

TimW

Quote from: JJ on July 29, 2020, 11:52:55 PM
@Bindian , your farm is very nice and well setup. Love the pictures and the Purina door.

JJ
Thanks JJ.  Now that I am retired, I can whip the place into shape.  Ssshhhh on the Purina door. Copyrights you know. smiley_contract_point   I love the door.  Pressure washed it a few months ago and my daughter and Grand daughter made mud pies and played tick tack toe with it.
hugs,  Brandi

cutterboy

Magicman, I don't understand why people don't have their logs sawn when they are fresh. Why wait? It drives me crazy to see that.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

cutterboy

Hi all. I just finished sawing up five good sized red maple logs.

Because it has been so hot I sawed one log each morning for the last five days. I start really early....the sun is just coming up.

Nice ambrosia here.

These logs had grooves in them which is very annoying because sawing deep to get past them causes more waste. Those grooves seem to be a thing with maple.

The last log was the biggest and gave me some really nice clear lumber.

Now that I have a nice little stack of red maple I think I'll head out to the woods for some red oak.

All the best.....Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Old Greenhorn

Well cuttterboy it seems there is a lot of that ambrosia going around today. I did a short log for a demo project and found this:

It was a junk log (until I opened it) because it is short and had some bad defects. But I did manage to get 5) nice and clear 1 x 11-1/2 x 5' boards out of it. Might be nice for somebody to make boxes or drawer fronts out of.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

Quote from: cutterboy on July 30, 2020, 04:00:44 PM
Magicman, I don't understand why people don't have their logs sawn when they are fresh. Why wait? It drives me crazy to see that.
That is something that I am not concerned with because my job is to recover whatever is recoverable.  I'll saw these slabbing off all of the sapwood so the boards will be 100% heartwood which in the long run will give him higher quality lumber. I'll also buck off at least 6" from the ends to discard any deteriorated wood.

Magicman

I set the sawmill up this afternoon so that I can get an early start tomorrow morning.  Sadly there will be no shade.  :-X  The customer's sons will be tailgunning so no Luke on this job.  :-X

I immediately told the customer to discard the two logs on the right.  They are too far gone to saw.  There are many more SYP logs to be bucked and skidded.

And then there are the customary ERC logs.  All landowners seem to always have a collection.  I really hope to finish this tomorrow and have Saturday off. 

firefighter ontheside

When did you get back to sawing Magicman?  
I havent sawed anything of any size in a while.  Its been too hot, but the forecast this week has a high of about 83 and even a few days with highs in the 70s.  There will probably be some rain to pay the price for good temps, but Ill take it.  I have lots of walnut and cherry that really needs to be sawn.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

I didn't realize that I had quit sawing.  ???

I did take a pause beginning June 10th so that I could do trail and bridge work at my cabin property getting ready for the 4th, but I have sawn 4 jobs since then with a total of 11,361 bf, so I have been fairly busy in July.

SpaceBus

Today has been very frustrating with bark dulling my chains and causing the bar to climb in the cut. These Balsam Fir logs I'm sawing have tons knots, some quite large. I'm tired of sharpening after every slab cut. What kind of pressure washer do you recommend? What kind of flow rates should I be looking for? 
Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

caveman

I sawed some logs for a repeat customer and former student today.  He reminds me of a 20 something Tule Peak.  He does high end furniture and ships it all over.  Anyway, I had to go to his place today to pick up the "logs" which consisted of two smallish cherry logs that had been lying in the dirt for a long time and three logs from a bald cypress from his neighbor's yard.  The second log up had an arrow in it.  I dug the head out when I got it home.  I saved the butt log for last since he was pulling nails out of it as I was loading the others.  After he had pulled all he could find, his metal detector indicated there was still hardware within.  

I suspected that most would be near the outside of the tree.  I lost track of metal strikes in that log somewhere around 20.  I began slabbing it a 2 3/8" and then increased to 2 5/8" to account for the marks left  by the out of set teeth and the occasional wave left by the first blade.  After trashing the second blade, I called him and asked him what he wanted me to do.  He came over and decided to have me install another blade and keep sawing.  I made it about a foot before, you guessed it, ZING, Zing, Zing.  As the smoke was coming off the blade and I was trying to escape the log on the last cut, the blade came off about three feet shy of the end of the log.  Did I mention it was torrentially raining and the lightening was cracking?  I was unable to make one cut in this log without hitting metal.

Tomorrow morning I am going fishing.  I'll wait for John to get back from vacation before we saw the cypress I got this week.  Hopefully ours is not metal laden.

Afterwards we shot the breeze for a while.  He is one of the young people that remind me from time to time why I enjoy teaching ag.  When he was a student I could turn him loose on the lathe, bandsaw or table saw and he would create something cool.  He made a full sized boat prop out of cherry when he was in high school just for fun.
Caveman

Larry

Walnut Thursday.

Spent most of the day in the shop turning a funeral urn.  Had a logger drop off a couple of walnut logs for me to slab, so I decided to get them out of the way after I ate supper.  All 9/4 and live edge.  Not big but the perfect table size if book matched.  272 board foot in an hour and that includes cleanup, taking a few pictures, and playing with Hank.

My business pardner and best friend.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!