iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2020 ??

Started by Magicman, January 01, 2020, 07:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

I let this hackberry sit here for about a year and a half.  It is spalted, but not all the way thru.  I guess I need to go about 2 years in the future.  I just brought home some logs a month ago.  Have to remember to mill them in the fall of 2022.  Hopefully dad and I can mill then without having to worry bout the rona.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

LeeB

Hackberry go very quickly from spalt to rot. It's a fine lined game.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: LeeB on November 24, 2020, 12:47:09 PM
Hackberry go very quickly from spalt to rot. It's a fine lined game.
Thats very true.  These other logs I have are much bigger and I certainly don't want them to rot.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

Pretty wood. I have some maple here that did that - only spalted on the ends apparently where there was more air exposure or such. Did not run the full 8' length - maybe 2' on each end. I agree if you'd waited very much longer you might have had spalted middles but rotten ends.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I got da monkey off of my back today and finished sawing that SYP whack.

This ugly was the last one to saw  :-X  but three faces did yield some 2X4's.

Luke is on "top of his job".  :o

The back stack is 12½' tall and the next is 11½' tall. 

Da udder end.  The framing lumber is dimension sized 2X4's, 2X6's & 2X12's.  A 4"X15"X14' beam, four Red Oak 10"X10" posts, along with some 1"X10" & 1"X12" side limber sneaked in.  The total was 13,907 bf.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Walnut Beast

The guys got a very very nice pile of lumber. Especially with the prices now

Bruno of NH

Yes that's a whack and stack
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

nativewolf

Do they not have to use graded lumber there?  Don't see how they get that in a house unless an engineer/grader is coming by.  Of course with prices today that might make sense.  
Liking Walnut

Magicman

Grading requirements are based upon the county/municipality building codes plus the blueprint material list.  This lumber will be used to build a new home and will not be graded.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don P

Building codes are adopted at the state level but are enforced at the local level. Local enforcement varies widely. Compliance is on the contractor not the supplier. Several states do have some form of native lumber law that allows ungraded lumber in residential. Many states have ag exemptions for farm buildings. Almost all have exemptions for small utility buildings.

nativewolf

Quote from: Don P on November 25, 2020, 08:09:05 AM
Building codes are adopted at the state level but are enforced at the local level. Local enforcement varies widely. Compliance is on the contractor not the supplier. Several states do have some form of native lumber law that allows ungraded lumber in residential. Many states have ag exemptions for farm buildings. Almost all have exemptions for small utility buildings.
Oh I know, I guess lax or non existent compliance.  Since it is for a house it is odd to me, that's all.
Liking Walnut

WV Sawmiller

@Don P    I know the county may be lax on enforcing state regs but what do the insurance companies do? Would you have problems getting it insured? I would not want to build a home and not be able to insure it or have problems later if I went to sell it if I wanted to.

My county has no restrictions as I understand but 2 adjoining counties are have them and one is very strict.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

tule peak timber

Lynn, on a big job like this , do you charge differently? Flat rate ? One big pile of sticks... ;D
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Bruno of NH

New Hampshire has one of the best native lumber laws on the books.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Larry

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 25, 2020, 09:00:01 AM
I know the county may be lax on enforcing state regs but what do the insurance companies do? Would you have problems getting it insured? I would not want to build a home and not be able to insure it or have problems later if I went to sell it if I wanted to.

Insurance companies don't care.  Sometimes they want pictures.  Other times they might have an untrained agent take a look.

Loan companies don't care much either as long as the house appraises.  New construction loans can be a problem for owner builds.

Outside the towns in my area, the only thing that gets looked at is the septic system and plumbing.

I built my home and shop but tried to meet the building codes of the closet town just to insure I would never have a problem if I ever get annexed.  Also gave me peace of mind that I was doing it right.  The building code officer in town gladly answered all my questions. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

Quote from: tule peak timber on November 25, 2020, 09:13:52 AMLynn, on a big job like this , do you charge differently? Flat rate ?
No different billing, just my standard bf sawing rate.

Magicman

Regarding using ungraded lumber for home building I ask the customer:

Does your blueprint specify #2 and/or rough sawn lumber?

Do you have a building permit if required?

Have you verified with your building contractor that he is willing to build with rough sawn lumber?

Has your lending institution signed off on your building plans/blueprint?

Has your homeowner's insurance carrier signed off on your building plans/blueprint?

Beyond that, I start sawing.  

TimW

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

doc henderson

thanks Brandi, beautiful spot and log and mill.  you are on your way.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Walnut Beast

caveman

Magicman, that's a nice whack of lumber.  How many blades do you reckon you used on that job?

John and I sawed a good sized live oak for a customer yesterday afternoon.  The customer and his wife are building a house and the tree came from their home lot.  The wife does not want dark colored wood and the customer assumed that since live oak is a white oak that the wood would not be dark.  We were kind of hoping he would not want it and we would get to keep it.  He wanted a 6"x14" mantle and two slabs with one live edge for counter tops in his new gun room.  After seeing them this morning when he came to pick them up, he left with all of them.  These slabs were really good.  I should have taken better pictures but we were working by the hour.  We had to chainsaw this log into conformity from both sides(sometimes I wish we had a wide head mill).

A couple of days ago we sawed up some slash pine logs into 2x4's to use on another lumber rack to stack dry wood on inside the shop.  This sawed so much easier than the big hearted, slow grown longleaf pine we have been cutting lately.

Caveman

Bruno of NH

Magicman

Quote from: caveman on November 25, 2020, 02:44:03 PMMagicman, that's a nice whack of lumber. How many blades do you reckon you used on that job?
Thanks.  5 metal strike blades, 7 dulled 4° and 3 dulled T7° blades.  This topic LINK came about because I had a box of 4° blades and this job had some knotty SYP.  I doubt that I will have the 4° blades resharpened or replaced because they dulled faster, sawed no better, and sawed much slower.

The metal strikes were anticipated because the customer has a tree removal service which was the source of all of these logs.

I can see sparks flying from that Live Oak.  ::)

firefighter ontheside

I really need to learn to recognize the different blades.  I think the 10 deg do best on my LT15, but I bought some 4 deg to try.  I put something brand new on the other day and I was not impressed.  It seemed slow, even in narrow wood.  I'm guessing it was a 4.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

Wood-Mizer sells a gauge to "measure" the teeth on their blades.  I painted the 4° green, the 7° red, and the 10° white.  The section of blade shown is a Turbo 7°.

Thank You Sponsors!