iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air Fryers

Started by DanG, March 17, 2020, 02:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

I'm seriously considering buying an air fryer but can't decide which one to get. They have front loaders and top loaders. I wonder which type is more versatile. Having watched some of the sales pitches on TV, I'm leaning toward the Emeril Lagasi one that is both a pressure cooker and air fryer. Do any of you have one of those? Anybody have experience with both basic types?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Raider Bill

I have and love my instapot. Use the pressure setting the most. Insta pot brand has a 6qt that is dual use and is rated pretty high.
I do not have a air fryer but that may change soon. A friend that is a real good cook swear by hers.
I'm thinking diet chicken wings myself.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

RichTired

Consumer Reports rates a few air fryers at the link below.  I am a big believer in CR and their testing.

Air Fryer CU ratings
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

stavebuyer

We have a front load air fryer only as we already owned 2 pressure cookers and a crock pot. The capacity was 7 qt and less than half the cost of the hot pot combos. I had my doubts; but the stuff comes out pretty darn good. I have a table top toaster/convection that will produce similar results but it takes more than twice the time. Ours is a "Gourmia" ordered from Amazon. Well worth the counter space.

21incher

We have a 6 quart one from Costco and love it. We bread precook and freeze a lot of eggplant from our garden and that airfryer cooks it up crispy in 10 minutes. Does a good job  with things like tater tots and Oreida fries also. Bacon cooks up fast on the racks also with no mess on the stove. I would go with at least a 6 quart capacity for 2 people so you don't have to prepare multiple batches.  We love ours.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

breederman

We have had a front loader for a couple years. We use it all the time. Ours has a rotisserie basket. That is a waste. I hate to say it but it makes very good steaks in about 8 minutes. 
  We love ours.  That and the vacuum sealer live on the counter and get used often.
Together we got this !

stavebuyer

I do think the "quart" rating is little misleading for the air fryer. Your not going to fill a basket and get uniform cooking like you would with an oil deep fryer. More like a cookie sheet. It wouldn't work so well inviting a crowd for a fish fry...one or two people without the big mess is its niche.

pineywoods

Ours works well for most things. One item that is an absolute disaster is shrimp. It cooks ok but is so tough you can't even chew it...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jeff

Tammy's just arrived from the pampered chef party she had. I put it to use this morning!

Better than Wallyworld!

Garlic and Herb Chicken - YouTube

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

stavebuyer

Quote from: Jeff on March 20, 2020, 11:32:53 AM
Tammy's just arrived from the pampered chef party she had. I put it to use this morning!

Better than Wallyworld!

Garlic and Herb Chicken - YouTube

Just curious how much trouble your new oven type air fryer was to clean after cooking the chicken? We bought a small table top toaster type oven several years back that had a rotisserie specifically because we love the roasted chicken but abandoned it after a couple uses because it was so much trouble to clean up and get the chicken tied up to the spit.

stavebuyer

Quote from: breederman on March 18, 2020, 06:11:57 AM
We have had a front loader for a couple years. We use it all the time. Ours has a rotisserie basket. That is a waste. I hate to say it but it makes very good steaks in about 8 minutes.
 We love ours.  That and the vacuum sealer live on the counter and get used often.
I usually cook most my meat over charcoal and many times cook extra stuff for later in the week. Would never have even occurred to me to air fry a steak but the next windy and rainy cookout day I may give it a go!

kantuckid

Regarding Brussel Sprouts, once we got into stir frying them we've never looked back. It improves the flavor and overall makes something I already liked far better. We halve them and avoid buying if their too big as flavor isn't as good.
Air fryers: I'm wondering how they'd do making home made Asian egg rolls? They take lots of grease/oil to fry them is made from scratch which is on our do list. The wrapper (similar to pie dough) needs to get browned nicely.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

stavebuyer

Quote from: kantuckid on March 24, 2020, 05:44:07 PM
Regarding Brussel Sprouts, once we got into stir frying them we've never looked back. It improves the flavor and overall makes something I already liked far better. We halve them and avoid buying if their too big as flavor isn't as good.
Air fryers: I'm wondering how they'd do making home made Asian egg rolls? They take lots of grease/oil to fry them is made from scratch which is on our do list. The wrapper (similar to pie dough) needs to get browned nicely.
The frozen egg rolls crisp up nicely with a little veggie spray so I would think your fresh ones would as well.

Jeff

We sprayed the rotisserie and drip pan before cooking. The clean up was  worth the taste!

pabst79

This item has been on the maybe purchase list for our household for a couple of years. Has anyone used one for frying fish (battered of course  :))? The reviews I've read say that it's possible but you have to coat the fish when you flip the fillets? When we have a group it's fine to burn up a jug of peanut oil on the cooker, but when you just want to do a few walleye or crappie fillets, it would be nice if there was a different option.  digin_2
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Jeff

I'd try it if I had some fish.

kantuckid

Quote from: stavebuyer on March 24, 2020, 06:55:06 PM
Quote from: kantuckid on March 24, 2020, 05:44:07 PM
The frozen egg rolls crisp up nicely with a little veggie spray so I would think your fresh ones would as well.
The store bought egg rolls have already been fried then frozen. So if you air fry them, or use a toaster oven as we do, the fat/oil/grease is there.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Jeff

Let me tell ya, you can cook perfectly cooked fish in a hotair fryer.  We picked up some lake perch fillets and they came out awesome.

pabst79

They look perfect, I think we're going to add one to the cupboard lineup. I showed my wife the pic of perch, she agrees.
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

stavebuyer

Quote from: Jeff on March 27, 2020, 04:57:21 PM
Let me tell ya, you can cook perfectly cooked fish in a hotair fryer.  We picked up some lake perch fillets and they came out awesome.

That Perch looks great. Just curious what you used for the coating? 

Jeff

Flour, a beaten egg, and panko bread crumbs.seasoning of choice. If I would of had old bay or Lowry's I would have used it, but as it turned out, salt and pepper was perfect.

Pat your fillets dry, season, dredge in flour dip in beaten egg, then  dredge in the bread crumbs. Place on the cooker screen trays and cook 4 minutes.  Turn and swap tray position and cook for 4 more minutes.

petefrom bearswamp

Jeff that food all looks great.
How about fish smell?
I am banished to the garage or the deck to fry fish.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Jeff

Fish should not smell. If you have fish that smell, it means they are beyond peak freshness.

Magicman

No matter with Pete, he is beyond fresh too !!!  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Fresh flash frozen. Not even froze to each other. No smell, but then again we dont thaw on the cupboard for hours. :)

Thank You Sponsors!