iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer LT15 Backfire and Fuse Issue

Started by WoodyMcSander, February 19, 2017, 12:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodyMcSander

I have a 2000 Woodmizer LT15 that has always been very reliable minus blowing a fuse every so often.

That disappeared when I did some work on it.

Now it has shown up again a couple hours before I was getting ready to sell it.

When I am running the engine and engage the blade for a minute or more, I shut it off and the engine powers down.  There will be a little puff sound which I assume is a backfire, then when the engine has stopped I will hear a small metallic tick which is the fuse blowing.

It has happened three times in a row today.

It doesn't matter if I let the engine heat up to temp, it will still happen.

The worst thing is, I had someone enroute to come look at it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

WV Sawmiller

Woody,

Maybe your mill just doesn't want to leave his happy home. (Sorry - the devil made me say that.)

Good luck. I'm betting it is a simple fix once you find the actual problem.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

dgdrls

what fuse blows and what work did u do in the past to address the fuse?     

D

WoodyMcSander

There's only one fuse that is 30amp the connects to the solenoid.

I had a spark plug wire that was chewed into by a mouse.  Other than the spark plug wire all the other wires were ok.  Also replaced the rectifier and the solenoid.

It only blows when I run the blade and the [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better] it off.

MartyParsons

Hello,
   What engine is on this mill? LT15's dont have much electrical equipment on them. I am guessing the only fuse is for the charging system. The WM manual does not show any fuse. I would say it would be Kohler wiring for the fuse. You have us hanging on you did some work on the electrical system and the fuse stopped blowing. What area did you work on that kinda solved the fuse issue. I would start there.
Sorry I am not much help on this issue. I would need a little more information.

Thanks
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

richhiway

Generally if you are popping a 30 amp fuse you have voltage making ground. If I understand it only happens when you shut off the engine switch? It may be in the switch itself. Is it metal mounted to metal (grounded)? If so take it out of it's mounting so it's not grounded a try it.
The way to find a short is to unhook each circuit and methodically eliminate each on as the culprit.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

WoodyMcSander

The engine is the Kohler Command Pro 15.  CH15 is the model number.

I have not replaced the switch or the stator.

I've replaced the spark plug, spark plug wire, rectifier, solenoid.

When I talked with Woodmizer in depth, they could not even find or remember a fuse on there.  Between the Kohler manual for the engine and the Woodmizer catalog, we were able to piece together why it was there.

Do you think a ground issue and a backfire are related?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

WoodyMcSander

Something else.  I could see it being the switch if every time I turned the switch on it blew.  But it's only once the blade has been activated.

Before I replaced those parts, I started having this issue when I ran the blade.  Then it started blowing the fuse whenever I turned the key.  That's when I realized I had a mouse that had chewed into the spark plug wire and I assumed that was causing the short.

Thanks again.

Jon

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: WoodyMcSander on February 20, 2017, 03:10:54 PMThat's when I realized I had a mouse that had chewed into the spark plug wire and I assumed that was causing the short.

If he got one maybe he chewed through more, or the same one again?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

To troubleshoot it you will have to follow that fused wire and determine where it goes while carefully examining it for broken/missing/chewed insulation.   I have a pinched wire going to the auto clutch on my sawmill that I had to simply bypass with a good wire.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

richhiway

the spark plug wire is a high tension lead from the coil, it can not short out the 12V system. It sounds like a mouse also chewed a 12V wire going to the engine. If the backfire is related it could be the wire going to the 12V side of the coil,it may cause the coil to fire the plug one time when it gets grounded. Carefully check the wire from the switch to the engine coil.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!