iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

12" jointer or 24" planer?

Started by Dudaks, February 08, 2015, 05:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

Quote from: Dudaks on February 08, 2015, 05:32:33 PM
If given a choice what which do you feel is more beneficial as a first purchase to add value for lumber resale? Thoughts?
Thanks,
Fred
I'm not disputing the pros and cons of planing or jointing or SLR, everybody has their own opinions and I respect that.  Since the question was directed about lumber resale, and value added by a process on the product for increased profit, then I will say that in my experience, one of the best ways to increase the value of lumber for sale is proper skip planing. For low grade wood, which includes severely cupped, bowed, or warped, I sell it as is, investing effort and money in poor wood is a net zero game. 

However, investing effort or money into planing, or improving the usability or appearance of high value wood only increases its value further, and in my case, the net return for two sided skip planing is "significant."

For example, for this one load of my kiln dried premium lumber going on a road trip to 2 sided Pinheiro planer, the real net value increase (cost of planing vs return in sales price) was just slightly more than $3,000.

YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

hackberry jake

I guess the real answer to his question is "it depends on your market". I have a wide jointer for my woodworking, not lumber sales. The only luck I have had selling lumber has been selling it dirt cheap. My local market won't support high dollar lumber sales so any extra effort I put into the lumber is wasted.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

terrifictimbersllc

Agreeing with all of the jointing first, skip planing first, and not doing either perspectives above. 

But perspective is key.   Sawyer, customer, customer's knowledge and ability, wood purpose, green, air-dry, kiln dry, thickness, grade, species are some of the variables in the perspective.  I don't sell wood, but I saw a fair amount, and work it some.  When custom sawing,  it's time for me to turn off the saw and have a discussion of perspective, when the customer says "just an eighth over, to save work planing".   ::) ::) ::) ::) :o :o :o :o

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!