iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peterson/Lucas Interchangeability??

Started by Percy, July 16, 2009, 09:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

HI all.
Its been a while. Been busier than a one legged kickboxer lately. Moved my mill/edger/bobcat/966 and all 12 years worth of junk....uhh....stuff I mean ;D to a new location right in town. My son Warren has been at this location since Oct. of last year. Its right next to a log yard......hello ;D...Its been a good move.

Warrens Peterson WPF 10 incher needs a gearbox and Peterson dosnt have any at the moment. Does anyone know if the Lucas 10 incher is the same?? Or is there a supplier in North America for these parts??? We are in the middle of a big Cedar order and we sure could use a gearbox asap???Any help would be appreciated...Thx
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Fla._Deadheader

Hey Percy
Wondered where ya got to, EH ???  ;D

Can't you just rebuild what you have, or, did ya break it ??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Percy

Heya FDH, Howareya??? Yeah, Im thinkin he had a bad gearbox as this is the 3rd rebuild in the mills one year lifespan. He(Warren) would like a spare gearbox so he could just swap out whenever the thing breaks down....

Fla._Deadheader

Are ya using Synthetic Gear Oil ??  Mine has taken a beating, sawing hard stuff, and I need to put a kit into it, soon as I get done sawing this job I'm on. Mine is 8", and that little gearbox really grunts. Can't GET Full Synthetic down here.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

islandlogger

bandmiller2

Percy,what goes in the gearbox,the gears ,bearings or case,are they metric or good old english measurement??Bearings and gears are made to standard sizes it may be possible with some legwork to find replacements this side of the pond.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Meadows Miller

Gday

Good to hear things are going well in your neck of the woods Percy  ;) ;D 8) 8) 8)
Pitty abot warrens box and the thirsd one in a year  :o :) ::) ??? :(

My gearbox on the lucas is on the way out atm at 300 odd hrs  ::) But i know what caused it :( >:(  the little outer slip collar on the centfugal clutch when it bound up a couple of times when i shut it down   :o :o ??? Fixed that tho Just welded it to the center keeper  ;) ;D :D But its Stuffed somthing in the gear big time im getting some shavings in the oil its also twisted the Output shaft which is caused the oil seal/dust cover to leak but not much  I just keep toping er up ;)

With Warrens mill Im not too sure wether a lucas box would fit  ??? also I think lucas only sells the whole swing pivot frame , box and the output shaft and saw boss  as a unit  But ill find out this week when i give them a call Ill ask Lucas if itll fit the peterson and weather they will supply just the box they are pretty good on price with all their parts   ;) ;D 8) 

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Percy

Hey everyone,
Thanks for all the tips and responses.

FDH, yes he is using synthetic gear oil..

Islandlogger. Thanks for the link. We are chasing that down as we uhhh speak :D

Bandmiller2- We have been getting parts locally to rebuild this box but Warren wants a spare.

Meadows Miller.. Thanks for the input....Warren is gonna call Baileys today as well.

This mill works about 8 hours a day, pretty much every day. It has lots of hours on it in a short period of time. The gears in the box seem fine , but even with this last rebuild, it is heating up waay too much. Im thinking the output shaft keyways and wherte the tapered roller bearing fit against the gear is too worn and causing mis allignment of the gears......any tips/advice..???
Thanks

Jeff

Swingmills.com is Captains website, "Timber Pro".  Use the link to the left under the sponsors. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Sawdust4sale

Peterson Parts on this side of the world? What a releif. Thanks for all the help guys. No gearbox though but alot of parts I go through regularly. Now does anyone need anysawdust?

bandmiller2

It seems aparent that the P and the L brand swingmills are not designed for continuos commercial duty.Over heating could very well be causing the problems with the gearboxes,as FDH says synthetic lubes handle heat better than dino oils.Trying to cool the moving gearbox would be problematic possibly a small fan.Cutting 8 hrs. a day every day a fella would be better served with a regular circular mill,every mill has its place.No offence to anyone my opinion Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Firebass

Could there be a chance that you are overfilling the gearbox with oil?  I know I dont own a P or a L mill  but with the threads about gearbox failure I've payed close attention to how mine is holding up since it's home made.  I've noticed that with my mill I can rest my hand on the gearbox after a hard day and although it does get warm to the touch, it's not hot at all.   So your problem got me thinking that if too much oil was used it would cause more friction causing heat and breakdown of the oil and possibly reduce life of the gearbox.   Only a thought :)  Maybe you could rig up some sort of pump like a electric fuel pump and cycle oil thru a oil cooler or even build some sort of water jacket to cycle water around the gearbox to keep it cool.

I'm curious about the B X guys if anyone has had gear box problems. 

Firebass

mcfcfan

Hi Percy,

Lee here from Petersons, we actually have 5 units of 10 inch gearboxes in stock, so not sure where the incorrect information came from.May be a little communication break down we have to build up the gearboxes.
I can also think of one possibility for Warrens ongoing problem, and of course this is only a suggestion to try and assist.
Is there enough backlash?or to much backlash
shimming is critical.
Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
but how to dance in the rain."

Thank You Sponsors!