iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new family member!

Started by krusty, August 12, 2007, 09:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krusty

8)

finally got around to purchasing an LT15......

just wondering what y'all do for the base? proper footings and concrete piers of just resting on reasonably stable ground?

Also what do you run in your mill to remove pitch. Some folks use kerosene etc....WM of course sells stuff too.

Dave Shepard

Congrats on the new saw! I use straight diesel to strip the pine pitch off. Otherwise I use no lube at all.

Dave

edited for more better spellin'
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sawguy21

Congratulations. I see you already have the log dawg on duty. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

krusty

The dawg spent the day in the shade whilst I was sawing up some white oak :)

Robert Long

krusty;

Congratulations on your mill purchase.......You'll enjoy it alot! 8)

About fluids....I take it you are cutting white oak....hard woods.  I use water with a little detergent in it and on occasion I add pinesol.  Works great for me

Robert

Tom Sawyer

Water only for lube, except in the winter when I mix it with windshield washer fluid to keep it from freezing.  Check with WM about your warrenty before using diesel/bar oil/kerosene.  I know that they strongly discourage that practise.

Wallys World

Hope you enjoy your LT15 as much as I do! It is a great little mill.

I have my LT15 sitting on 12 X 12 inch 3/4 inch thick plywood directly on the ground. The ground where it is sitting is hard so I don't get any settling. Someday I am going to pour a slab and roof it. As far as lube I use water with PineSol in it. It cuts the pitch very good.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

aniakhenry

Congrats Krusty,

Now if your like me you will never run out of projects, you will probably have more ideas than time!!

As for PineSol, I am interested in using something better than straight water also....  How much pinesol to say 3-4 gallon water tank?

Thanks,

Thad

Robert Long

aniakhenry

I use a few ounces of pinesol in my water jug, not much is needed.

It also depends on what you are cutting and how freshly fallen the logs are.

You must try until you like the results.....also you'll love the smell....better than some old oak :D

Robert

krusty

Projects.....projects is my middle name!

is my first hammerbeam. This is my family room. My kitchen is the Sobon shed. The log section I had hewn myself. I should be done all the finishing over winter and then I can devote my time to becoming a lumber/timber baron.

Only if I could quit my day job....   :)

Robert Long

krusty

Wow! That's your first, Just keep going 8) 8)

Log dawg will like hang'in around that corner when it's done. ;D

Robert

krusty

I have two labs and both of them love to sleep infront of the wood fireplace when it is billowing heat! I am surprised that have not been slow roasted yet.

Both love to sit on timbers as well when timberframing, but the saw is much noisier than a slick.

Dave Shepard

Wow! That is a rugged looking frame. :) Very nice.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

krusty

Dave,

Is the inside as it stands now. Flooring, paint and fireplace to come this fall.

I have nothing but respect for nice planed and oiled timberframe structures. Though my personal preference is to cut my timbers, leave them outside to darken. Then hand plane them slightly to leave some patina and some lighter colored wood.

Thank You Sponsors!