iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Toe Boards - types, methods, substitutes

Started by John Bartley, May 13, 2019, 08:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Bartley

There was a thread recently about "how do we level logs to get to a cant"?   I responded with a photo of my toe boards and several other stopped by with comments about ways and means to accomplish the levelling.

I'd like this thread to be a photographic thread (mostly) with images of toe boards or other ways to accomplish the same.   If taking pictures or posting them just ain't your thing, then please describe to your hearts content, but like they say .... "a picture is .... etc".

Here's my toe boards :

- basically a frame that sits in the saw mill frame
- has a small hydraulic jack to operate a:
- scissor type lift with a:
- HDP top on it for easy sliding and log rolling

These are factory built to fit my mill, so credit for the design to SMG (Gilbert SawMills)

Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

RAYAR

Mine are simple and quick to use. They are a scissor jack with a piece of rod bent and welded for a crank handle. There is currently a piece of flat bar welded to the top for log support (not my build). No loose parts to lose or keep track of. There is one mounted (welded) near each end of the bed. So far, they've worked good for me.
(edit: they are bolted down, not welded)

Added two recent photos of toe-boards:

Front

Rear

mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

Wudman

I have a totally manual homebuilt mill.  I stick a shim under a bunk.  8 feet of steel pipe for a lever and an assortment of shims accomplish the task for me.  For the occasions that I can't lift, I use a floor jack.  I do plan to do something different at some point.  At least that's what I told myself 15 years ago.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Ljohnsaw

I started with a digging bar and shims for the small stuff.  The big stuff I needed my SkyTrak to lift to get a shim under it.  Then I found this:

It fits on the 4" channel of my log bunks.  Slow but works pretty well.

Then I picked up a bucket load of bottle jacks.  A little easier and a little faster.  Works good for me.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

kng

Here's mine.  Just a Harbor Freight floor jack held by some angle iron.

2015 LT15G19 with Power Feed and custom trailer

John Bartley

Quote from: kng on June 08, 2019, 09:29:55 AM
Here's mine.  Just a Harbor Freight floor jack held by some angle iron.
Great solution !!
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

kelLOGg

My manual mill came with scissor jacks but I found they couldn't lift much so I replaced it with 2 manual hydraulic jacks. They are on bases welded 8' apart on the main mill rails. Much later I needed to saw a short fat sycamore so I added 2 more bases 4.5' apart. Each set of bases has a tool tray between them. So far that has covered all I need.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!