iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Knee Replacement...Now Shoulder Surgery

Started by Magicman, October 15, 2019, 07:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Hey! This is a loggin forum. We use logrite hookaroons here!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

samandothers

Luckily I understand MM has one of those!

doc henderson

yup!  save the peavey and cant hooks for the really big problems!!! 8) :D :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

chet

Quote from: Magicman on February 23, 2020, 05:01:36 PMGonna be boring for the next week cause the sling hasta stay and I can't do anything.
Wow! They wouldn't let me ditch da sling till after 6 weeks. And no movement of the arm other than to "dangle " for 5 minutes twice a day during that initial 6 weeks. 
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Magicman

Until I go to the Doctor Monday, I have no idea how long my sling will have to stay.  I do know that this is the most restraining thing that I have ever had to do.  Doing nothing is tougher than I had imagined.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

EOTE

Quote from: Magicman on February 26, 2020, 08:36:36 AM
Until I go to the Doctor Monday, I have no idea how long my sling will have to stay.  I do know that this is the most restraining thing that I have ever had to do.  Doing nothing is tougher than I had imagined.  :-X
Time to design a new shed or barn or house extension MM.  That will help pass the time. :)
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on February 26, 2020, 08:36:36 AM
  Doing nothing is tougher than I had imagined.  :-X
The problem with doing nothing is you do not know when you are done!
Hope you get well soon.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Banjo picker

You picked a good time to have that done Lynn.  All this rain has all but shut me down.  I haven't even unhooked my truck from the trailer since I delivered the last load.  I have at least 4 loads of logs to go pickup ,but it's so wet I don't think I can turn around in the mans lay down yard without making a big mess.  I got wood down in my own woods I need to bring to the mill, but my ground is too steep & muddy for that too.  I agree doing nothing is a pain. Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

Yup, my customers are all wet which is a good thing.  I have talked to a couple this week and everything is on hold.  Got some "firewood weather" coming for the rest of the week.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

I am sitting here watching the fire burn as I type.  I have only built 3 or 4 fires all winter.  The old Kodak stove is so airtight, that if we get a real warm spell and don't need any heat you can shut it all the way down and it will hold enough coals to start back two days later easily.  I will have to replace the gasket this spring....I do that about every 3 years.  We paid I think 600 dollars for it when we built the house, an I thought that was outrageous....didn't know it was going to last so long.  Company is probably out of business....no repeat sales when something don't wear out.

That's an old picture....but it could have been made 5 minutes ago.  Don't over do it typing.
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

We bought this Craft fireplace insert over 40 years ago for about that same $$.  It does it's job quite well.  I have it loaded and ready for tomorrow morning.  fire_smiley

Radar67

Hopefully it won't be long before I can relax in front of a good fire. Hope everything heals well for you.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Don P

Patience! give it time to knit back proper. Then keep it close from here on out. I was doing soffit overhang framing yesterday solo, feeling it this morning but its too cold and windy to interest me anyway. Stuff I used to be able to reach out with the gun and nail off at arms length now requires a ladder reset to get close enough to reach. When the arms get out there with any weight stuff starts camming around in a bad way. Sure beats the alternative, I remember some of the old guys when I was a kid, they stayed on the ground and worked the sawbench, couldn't lift overhead at all.

petefrom bearswamp

Hang in there Lynn
I feel your pain regarding doing nothing.
I am 3-1/2 weeks into my recovery from foot surgery and am using a wheel chair and a walker.
My balance and lack of strength prohibit my using crutches.
I see the doc on the 4th and the cast should come off and hopefully get a walking boot.
Only positive is that I have been doing some genealogy on my Father's eastern European ancestry with some results.
Records are poor to non existent for the area of eastern Poland/western Ukraine.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Lynn,

You are a one handed firewood loader. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Magicman

Good News today.  I am 5½ weeks past my shoulder surgery and had my NP visit today.  The first thing that he said was "raise your arm as high as you can".  What?  That arm has not been out of the sling except to shower and do my rope/pulley exercise 3 times per day, and he said to raise it.  I jokingly raised the left arm, but he was too sly for that.  Quite frankly, I was sorta hesitant to try to raise the arm because I did not know that I could.  I began raising it and just kept on lifting it higher and higher and got it to about 165°.  He said that ~90° would have been normal for that first visit.

He told me to ditch the sling unless I was doing something and felt more comfortable with it on.  Also since I was ahead of the curve he did not recommend formal PT unless I really wanted it.  At that point, I was issued a rubber strap and given instructions on what to do during my home PT sessions and I will also continue the pulley exercises.

On the way home I talked with my next sawing customer and I will be at his place tomorrow morning.  The rain should be gone after ~9:00AM.

WV Sawmiller

Congratulations. Keep up the good progress. Did he recommend fly fishing as therapy? Maybe I should change careers and get into the medical advising. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Raider Bill

Good deal!
I went to pt today. They just keep scheduling more apt$$$$
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

I was glad that he gave me the home PT option.  My co-pay is $55 per session beginning the first of this year.  :o  Last year with my knee it was $35.  Obviously I have reached the expendable age. 

I go back to the NP in one month and have an appointment with the surgeon in May.

Raider Bill

Mine is $174. Another money grab.
So between the knee replacement and the rotator cuff which was easier?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

chet

For me da knee was hands down easier, no pun intended. Just ta be sure I had both knees and both shoulders done, yup knee wins.  :D   Raider, hows it lookin' for dat bike ride?
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Magicman

Pain was never really an issue with either, but this '6 weeks in a sling' was a pain in the butt log.  Of course now I am finally having to start doing stretches and getting my shoulder back.  With the knee, I was discharged after 6 weeks with no restrictions nor limitations.  Don't misunderstand, the knee ain't well yet, but right now it is better than what I had before the knee surgery.

No question, I would do-over with the knee before another shoulder. 

Thank You Sponsors!