iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Knee Replacement...Now Shoulder Surgery

Started by Magicman, October 15, 2019, 07:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Quote from: Nebraska on November 01, 2019, 03:10:59 PMhe just wore the joint out same as you have
Actually mine didn't wear out, it is due to an old motorcycle wreck.  The other knee and half of this knee still has plenty of cartilage.  This one had to have cartilage removed after the wreck and also after more broken cartilage locked my knee and I couldn't straighten it out.  I am just paying for past sins.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

smiley_thumbsup  D-Day was Doctor Day, but I like yours.  What I ain't liking is this whole replacement deal.  I ain't liking it at all.   :-X  

It is not hurting, just jumping out or whack when I walk or get out of balance.  I have been wearing a knee brace for several months, but sometime it gets out of whack even with the brace.  I can't trust it.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

Think of it like maintenance on the mill. You can do it before or after complete failure. You got this Lynn.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

YellowHammer

The good news is that after "knee day" your knee will be working great, no brace needed, and will last a long time.  And you won't even have to grease it.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Don P

Quote from: Magicman on November 01, 2019, 08:59:53 AM
I have a regiment of exercises to do twice a day until D-Day.  smiley_whip
I kneed to read slower, read that as "I have a whole regretment of exercises to do :D"
I've never gotten back to 20 years old after a repair but sure better than broke. Just about everyone I know who's had that done has been much happier after, we're just too handsome to hide on the couch.

Magicman

Quote from: Don P on November 02, 2019, 09:20:38 AMwe're just too handsome to hide on the couch.
No couch (or stool) for me because they also have me taking a "stool" softener.   :o  :D

samandothers

doc henderson

I have a nurse friend who tells everyone she is "too pretty to work nights!"
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Magicman on November 02, 2019, 09:32:48 AM
Quote from: Don P on November 02, 2019, 09:20:38 AMwe're just too handsome to hide on the couch.
No couch (or stool) for me because they also have me taking a "stool" softener.   :o  :D
TMI  :D

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Quote from: Magicman on November 02, 2019, 09:32:48 AM

No couch (or stool) for me because they also have me taking a "stool" softener.   :o  :D
I think your doctor has been watching too many "Lethal Weapon" movies. He doesn't call you "Leo" by chance does he?  :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

ok  ok  ok.  I was gonna add a clip but the bleep :o  took it out.  ::)

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on November 01, 2019, 08:45:07 PM
Quote from: Nebraska on November 01, 2019, 03:10:59 PMhe just wore the joint out same as you have
Actually mine didn't wear out, it is due to an old motorcycle wreck  I am just paying for past sins.
I feel your pain. 
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

thecfarm

My Father had his done. His was bone to bone,wore out. He felt A LOT better.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I got my Mom's walker and my Dad's cane dusted off today.

And ready for their duty starting next Monday.  ::)  I have been doing the prescribed exercises each day but I ain't looking forward to this.  :-\

Nebraska

Well at least you had that stuff on hand, and don't have to chase it down.  I think you ought to go fishing, nothing like a nest of crappies, or a few bass  to ease your mind a little. I doubt you have stiff water down there yet. Hang in there.

Magicman

There are two more items to be retrieved from upstairs; a shower/bath stool, and the riser thingy that sits on the commode.  :-\ 

Me having to do what I helped my parents do ain't sitting well with my thoughts.  :-X

stanwelch

Good luck my friend. We are all pulling for you (and your surgeon)
I pray that you will have a quick and successful recovery!

Stan
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Don P

I just went downstairs and didn't find it, one of Dad's inventions is a foot longish length of pvc pipe with a Velcro strap attached. It lashes to a walker, wheelchair or dining room chair as a caneholder so your cane is handy and not slid down on the dang floor. Expecting to see you dressed up for dancing soon :).

YellowHammer

Quote from: Magicman on November 12, 2019, 01:14:57 PM
and the riser thingy that sits on the commode.  :-\  
You know, I did my best thinking on one of those.   :D :D

My insurance would pay for a cane or a walker, but not both.  So I opted for a walker, and the nurses got me one with blue racing stripes.  It was cool, and I was the fastest on the 3rd floor with it.  

The best thing to think about all the "stuff" is to use it as a goal, realizing that the sooner you don't need them, the happier you will be.  It's good self motivation to graduate from them.  

Remember that immediately after surgery, your joint will be at 100% strength, with a full range of motion, and the Dr. makes sure of that on the operating table.  Thats his job.  The healing part is your job.  I'm sure you'll do very well.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Quote from: Magicman on November 12, 2019, 01:14:57 PMMe having to do what I helped my parents do ain't sitting well with my thoughts.

Well, for what it's worth your walker is fancier than either of the two I have had - doctor loaned me one the first time and we ended up buying one the last time, and I have a "walking stick" made of Hawthorne, it's not a cane!! :D  Keep records of what you can do each week then look back at them to realize how much progress you are making.  It's easy to get discouraged when you want or expect to be at a certain point but seem to be short of the goal - then look back and realize how much you have actually progressed.  

Years back when I was doing PT multiple times a week I was talking to my therapist on a Friday afternoon and she was doing the weekly paperwork, measuring stuff, etc and I was wining about how I needed to use a wheelbarrow to move two small square bales of hay to feed calves, before getting hurt I was used to grabbing two in each hand and just walking down the feed row, so she looked at me and asked how many bales I was able to move with the wheel barrow the previous week and my answer was "none, could not lift it", without missing a beat she said "well that is progress".  It took a while for that to sink into my thick noggin, but she was right. Sometimes we need to look behind us to see how far we have come.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

clww

Getting close, Lynn. Being the tough young bird you are, I feel confident you'll be back at your mill in no time. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Of course I sawed yesterday and then "Winterized" the sawmill until I get ready for her.  :'(

The RN from the hospital called and then sent me an email with all of my instructions.  The knee popped out twice yesterday and that was with the brace on, so I know that it is time.  Bad thing is that given a choice, I would have my shoulder fixed.  It constantly hurts, but the knee doesn't, but "Sawbones" said that I needed the shoulder for the knee recovery.  It doesn't give me any problem pushing down, just lifting outward.

I'll have plenty of firewood brought up and I can handle it one stick at the time.  fire_smiley

alan gage

Quote from: Southside on November 13, 2019, 10:45:03 PM
Sometimes we need to look behind us to see how far we have come.  
That is very true. My back recovery has two yardsticks. One is how I felt 24 months ago (pre-injury) and the other is how I felt beginning 18 months ago when I injured my back. Compared to how I felt 24 months ago I feel terrible. Compared to how I felt the previous 18 months to now I feel great! The 18 month yardstick makes me feel good about how far I've progressed and the 24 month yardstick gives me something to reach for.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

petefrom bearswamp

Lynn all the best from the frozen north
Do your therapy religiously 
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!