iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Knee Replacement...Now Shoulder Surgery

Started by Magicman, October 15, 2019, 07:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Thanks Pete, I am (kinda) doing my pre-op exercises as I was instructed.

The Dr.'s office just called and confirmed that I am to be at the hospital (60+ miles away) at 5:30 AM on Monday the 18th. Crap, that means that I must get up before breakfast, but of course I won't be able to eat anything anyway.  :-X

Of course I would not be complaining if I was going to a sawing job.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doctorb

Lynn-

You are stepping into the unknown, so hesitancy and fear are normal.   Most people love their total joint replacements.  You will too.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

YellowHammer

Good luck.  I would make a joke about "Break a leg" but it seems out of "joint."  Anyway, you'll do great! 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

doc henderson

not to have a "leg up" on @YellowHammer , and I doubt I could ever "cap" his comments.  I do not mean to "la (ga) ment"  but would like to join the "joint" expression of our "tendon (sy)" to wish you nothing but the best.  I don't want to "bursa" your bubble, but it will be good to get it over with.  :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Just look at it this way, the doctor said you "kneed" to do this.... ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

It so happens that one of our Granddaughters is a Surgical RN and will be in the operating room with me. 

She Lynn, is also my namesake.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

So much for the idea of flirting with the nurses.... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ed_K

Ed K

Bruno of NH

Good luck you will be back at it in no time.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

petefrom bearswamp

Oh how the puns proliferate.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Old Greenhorn

Well you have been much in my thoughts lately MM. Tomorrow is the big day. I understand your apprehension and appreciate how heavy this rests on you. Modern medicine is a wonderful thing and I have little doubt you will come through this much better than you expect. Life should also improve for you greatly on the other side of this hill. 
 I am wishing you well and will be very anxious to hear how you are feeling when it is over.
 Try to get a little rest tonight. Tomorrow is a new beginning. :)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

btulloh

Good luck tomorrow, Lynn.  Going into surgery is unsettling but the results will be good.  Wishing you a speedy recovery and a quick return to your ride-along.
HM126

thecfarm

You will like your new knee.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Thanks to all of you Guys for your support and encouragement.  I watched a YouTube video of the replacement procedure yesterday.  :o  Yikes!!!  No real surprises, but Yikes!!!  :-X 

I made a dozen+ calls last night to customers that are on my sawing list.  I had already communicated with most of them but maybe I was just trying to make myself feel better.  Anyway, they all understood and most of them will still be waiting when I am able to resume sawing.  I never saw everyone that gets "penciled in" on the list and then there are those with questionable logs anyway.  For example one has SYP logs that have been on the ground since October 2018 and he didn't call until September.  A full 3"-4" would have to be slabbed off to get below the pencil sized worm holes and get to solid wood. 

Anyway, I made one last pass on getting the fallen leaves mulched yesterday and will restock the firewood stash today.  I know that this surgery is the right thing to do, but I still ain't looking forward to it.  :-X

YellowHammer

Yeah, those videos are pretty cool.  I watched a bunch myself.  Kind of puts it all in perspective.

I was chatting with the Dr. after the surgery and I told him I was feeling pretty good after he cut a large part of my body out with a medical grade chainsaw.  He laughed and said, "No, it wasn't a chainsaw, it was a medical grade Sawzall!" :D :D

Look at all the perks you'll get when you get into the "titanium club."  You'll be able to park right at the front door of every Wal Mart in the country for a few months with the little handicap card you get as a bonus gift from the hospital.  You'll also get to stroll through the medical detector at the airport and have it start beeping and laugh about it, when you hand them your cool little joint replacement card.

You'll even be able to get out of emptying the dishwasher, taking out the garbage and other stuff  just by saying it might hurt you. :D

Good luck to you.  Things will turn out fine.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

samandothers

Best of luck Lynn, not that you 'kneed it'.  I am sure the staff is very capable.

LeeB

My thoughts are with you tomorrow my friend. Be well.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

pineywoods

I'm assuming one of the fine hospitals in Jackson,which one ? How long a stay ? You will definitely be doing some pt for a few weeks, hope locally. Neighbor lady (might weigh 140 lbs) had a knee done a few months back. She is now wrestling bales of hay and sacks of feed and climbing on and off her tractor. Keeping you in our prayers. 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

doc henderson

working tonight, and will be thinking about you in the am!  You are active and in good shape.  all should go fine!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

River Oaks in Flowood Wayne, kinda close to where your son lives.  My PT will be here in Brookhaven.  Twice a day at home for ~2 weeks and then at Kings Daughters.

Yes Doc, that is what I keep telling myself.  I have finally reconciled myself to the inevitable and know that this is the right thing to do.   ::)  Just got a call wanting sawing done next week from a many times repeat customer.   :-X

My clock is set for 3:45AM, so even though I won't be allowed to eat anything, it will still be before breakfast.  :-\

Gary_C

After having been thru four major surgeries including two open heart surgeries, I can tell you this much. You will have the easy part tomorrow as they will turn your lights out and you get to sleep thru the whole thing. I know the anticipation is the hard part but sleeping is better than sitting in the waiting room the whole time. No need to focus on the procedure and when you are awake, you will be on the mend.

You will do fine as I see you are well prepared. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Wishing you the very best, Lynn!

Thinking about you, my friend! ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Old Greenhorn

Apparently a LOT of us are thinking about you on this day. Good luck. You've got this.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

samandothers

Thank You Sponsors!