iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lightning Spiral - Swamp Oak

Started by AndyC, September 06, 2011, 01:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyC

Hi Folks -- The picture below is of a white swamp oak that had a lightning strike about 2 weeks ago.  The lightning spiraled all the way from ground to the tip around the tree.  It is massive - well over 4 1/2 ft DBH and 105' tall.  All of the leaves have died since then except 1 large branch.  It had an existing spiral to the tree apparently from a previous strike many years or decades ago and the new strike followed down the same exact line.  Blew the bark about 30-50 ft away from the tree.  Going to have a lot of firewood for the next few years.  I had never seen a spiral like this and thought I'd share everyone like pictures. 

beenthere

Andy
The spiral is in the grain of the tree, introduced as the tree grows. The lightning just follows that grain. Pretty pronounced spiral. Will make good firewood. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SPIKER

Somewhere back in the day I had a pic of a swamp elm that was same that was outside my bedroom window (ah 150' away.)   I was watching when the bolt hit the tree & left me blinking for a few min.  It left 5 or 6 spiral 1x1" strips that laid out at the base of the tree un-folded like a flower or something.   was really interesting to look at & the bark was pretty much square the way it peeled it out like it was on a lath & cut deliberately...   Looking a the Elm was very similar to your photo.   

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

WDH

That is a grand ole tree to meet such a fate.  Salvage as much as you can.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DRB

A shame it is probably not usable as lumber now it was spiral grained and I bet it is cracked bad after that strike. Odds are it will be presplit when you cut the log up.  You may  get lucky but odds are against it. 

thecfarm

I have a few cedars that would probably look like that if they got hit by lighting. Interesting.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Spiral is odd, but it does happen.  Yours is really extensive like a Barber Pole.

Sometimes spiral.

Sometimes straight>
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ljmathias

Lightning is weird stuff- we had 5 trees hit during three different storms this year, all within 100' of each other.  First hit was a white oak, bark exploded off just like you saw- sadly, all five trees are dead or dying and I have to take them down soon.  Heard beetles in one of the three pines that was hit... >:(

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

WDH

Those are the ambrosia beetles chewing away.  The bark beetles, probably Ips, have already come and gone.  When you see the frass at the bottom of the tree, the ambrosia's are there.  That new house is going to need some oak furniture and at least one grits table  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!