iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar kiln build

Started by Fil-Dill, January 10, 2011, 08:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fil-Dill

I would like to build a solar kiln and wood like it to hold 12-16' lumber. The problem is I won't always have the board footage to stay with the 1:10 ratio for board footage and collector area. Do I just cover part of the roof or should I make the first and last sheet of roofing tin instead of polycarbonate.
EZ boardwalk 40

Larry

There is no really good answer for your question as every solar kiln I have seen is constructed differently.  Different glazing, roof angle, insulation, and vents.

In general the first thing you need to do is monitor how fast your kiln is drying.  If your exceeding the safe rate than slow down by covering up part of your glazing...at least that's what the book says.  Oak is most susceptible to degrade because of drying to fast.

In my solar kiln I had R-20 walls, R-30 in the floor, and double glazing.  I followed Gene Wengert's plan fairly close although I modified the size and only dried 10' or shorter.  I dried partial oak loads and never had to slow down or cover the glazing.  This was in north Missouri.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Fil-Dill

Larry, thanks for the help. I will get to building and see what I can learn about monitoring drying rate.
EZ boardwalk 40

Fil-Dill

I am in central MO and was wondering if anyone has built there own fan controls using a thermstat and timer and also if a humidistat would be worth it.
EZ boardwalk 40

flibob

I think it is the VA Tech solar kiln uses a photovoltaic with no controler hooked to 12v fans.  They say the fans are only needed when the sun shines.  It is a nice design and pretty straight forward.  Do a google for solar kilns for the info.
The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

pineywoods

On my kiln I just leave the fans running all the time. works fine.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Larry

I used a line voltage thermostat to turn the fans off and on.  Worked great in the winter but not at all in the summer because the kiln stayed too hot.

A simple timer works well.  You can leave the fans off if cloudy weather is forecast.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Bill Gaiche

Larry, do you have a kiln now? bg

Larry

I do not.  Should have the new Nyle kiln up and running in a couple of months.

Bill Gaiche

Ok, thanks and good luck on the new kiln. bg

sawwood

We built a solar kiln but just use a timer to control the fans. Have a load of soft maple and sweet gum in it now. We used
green house platic for the glazing but may put platic on it this summer.  Larry i have some red and white oak 5/4
to dry this summer, can i put 4/4 oak in with the 5/4 with out any trouble ? If ok where would you put the 4/4 oak, bottom
or top of the 5/4 ?

Lester
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Larry

I dried red and white oak together all the time without problem.  Never tried 5/4 with 4/4 but I think it would work ok, as not much thickness difference.  Keep a close eye on the 5/4.

metalspinner

The fans in my kiln are controlled with a thermostat.  They are attic fans with the thermostat integrated in the fan.

Air drying the lumber prior to placing in the kiln has yielded better lumber for me.  But I do not try to control things very much once loaded.  "Set it and forget it" is my motto. ::) :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

flibob

Metalspinner,

What you say about your fans seems to support the Virginia Tech idea of a photo voltaic cell with no controler.
I want to build a solar kiln but have no power on site.
The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

metalspinner

Your fans will only be running when they reach the upper temps (during the day).  There may be some solar technology you can utilize for the small amount of power you need.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

metljakt

Larry,  I'm much interested in the Nyle kiln concept.  Can you post where I might get some info on it.  I need to dry Doug Fir.

Larry

You can check with sponsors WM, TK, and maybe Baker as they all sell Nyle kilns or go to the Nyle web site.

Den Socling

metljakt,

Google "dehumidification kiln" and you will a lot of information about the type of kilns that Nyle sells.

Den

Thank You Sponsors!