iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dirty boards

Started by alan gage, February 03, 2020, 05:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan gage

Wondering if there are any good tips or tricks to keeping boards free of dirt and grit during the stacking and drying process. My saw site is on gravel, which is great except for gravel sticking to pallet runners and dropping onto other boards when stacking pallets. I try to remember to knock the gravel off them before but sometimes I forget, sometimes it's frozen on like a rock, and sometimes I just can't get it all or some gets picked up in the forks that I'm not aware of until it falls onto the other boards.

If using the lumber rough it wouldn't be such a problem but I don't imagine that grit is doing my planer blades any good. I brush the gravel/sand off as I see it but I'm sure there is plenty I miss and even after brushing off what I can see I don't doubt there is a lot of blade dulling bits that I can't see. Maybe I should make a habit of steel brushing boards before they go through the planer?

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Mike W

Could always roll out a section of material like Tyvek house wrap, tough enough stuff and cheap enough before setting the pallets down, when moving the pallets of lumber from there, no more grit or gravel, just a cheap thought, its what we do when stacking in part of our staging yard and we always have some laying around from various construction projects we do throughout the year.

jeepcj779

You could put some runners on the gravel for the pallets to sit on.

SawyerTed

I use 6x6s to put my pallets on for stacking and stickering as jeepcj779 suggests.  I keep 15 or 20 6x6x4', as many 4x6x4' for dunnage under pallets.  For a 12' pallet I'll throw down four to put my pallet on.  While white oak us the most durable, poplar is the easiest to handle.   Pine works but doesn't last.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

esteadle

Sand your boards (with a wide belt sander) before you plane them.  No need to do anything else different. 

donbj

I don't use pallets but any dunnage that is in contact with the ground doesn't get used for stacking piles, always kept separate and as best I can gravel/dirt side always goes down. Dunnage for between piles is kept separate and stays clean.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Ljohnsaw

Keep an eye out around the back of building in shopping centers for plastic pallets.  Also CL.  Ask to talk to the managers of the stores if you can take a few.  Use them for a clean platform.  In the meantime, what do you do with all your sawdust?  Spread that across the dirt and gravel.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WV Sawmiller

My son got me a bunch of the 3' square plastic pallets that I use heavily but be careful as they are slick. The last nasty fall I took was off a short extension ladder where the rubber feet did not hold on the slick plastic surface and I folded up like a pocket knife. Other than some embarrassment for doing this in front of a customer and a few bruises I was unhurt but if you plan to use plastic pallets be warned. Also remember the FF policy generally prohibiting use of ladders for members over the age of 3 if remember the latest update on said policy. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Don P

Some of the dirtiest wood I've planed recently was some I stored in a haybarn, the fine dust got into everything and led to many knife changes. One thing with sanding and then using edge tools is there is some grit from the sanding embedded in the wood so not the best order of events but all depending might be better than the alternative. I used a wire brush on some really filthy wood a customer brought in not too long ago, it helped but sure didn't prevent dulling that set of knives. The best way is to take pains to keep wood clean to begin with.

There have been several mentions of heights and gravity the past few days. One of the things that was impressed upon me years ago, half of people that fall just 13 feet die. I watched "Free Solo" the other night, about the nut that climbed El Capitan, 3,000' without a rope, he ain't right ::). We don't bounce well, be safe.

Magicman

Don't overlook the value of using a leaf blower after brushing it off.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!