iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Calculator

Started by macurtis, February 17, 2002, 08:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macurtis

Is there a handheld caculator on the market that can be used
to figure log volume or board feet. One that has Doyle scales
built in?? Or other scales for that matter.

Thanks

Ron Wenrich

I don't know of any hand held calculators.  You could buy a Doyle folding log rule at Ben Meadows.  You can find them in the Directory link.

Another alternative is to use our log calculator by hitting the Toolbox to the left.  That will give you volume for Doyle, Scribner, and International.  

We can't give it to you in a handheld, but we can give you the information.  We also have a load calculator for logs.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tillaway

Yes and No... You can plug the formulas into a spreadsheet / Data base and use something like a Compaq pocket pc.  You could also program a HP programable calculator to give you a gross volume but I doubt you could program it to give volumes to you by species and grade.  See if you can get the program from a local scaling burea, forest extension office or better yet from a university Forestry school.  The University might give you the program  for free. ;D  If you surf around a bit you might find the formulas or even a program on the US Forest Service Web site.

Bob
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Jeff

Guys, don't woodmizer put out a little slide type pocket boardfoot Calculator? Its not really a calculator, but a table?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

Yes, Wood-Mizer has a pocket calculator with all the log rules and a lumber rule. It's quite handy.

The USDA-Forest Service, State and Private Forestry; Northeastern Area also has a Timber Management Field Book whuch has all the log rules in a table side by side for comparison.

The Field Book is #NA-MR-7 and has much useful information and tables for field use.
~Ron

macurtis

Genleman, thank you for the information.

L. Wakefield

Needs to get onto a palm pilot. Those are really up and coming things. Jeff, have you got any interest in branching out? You have a lot of computer type know how and ingenuity. It could be a $$ maker  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Jeff

hmmm money maker... Now there is a new concept for me :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

Yes Jeff, there is a need for such. Get the programs for the Palm Pilot use in Forestry Suppliers, Ben Meadows, etc. If you don't someone else will.
~Ron

Trc^

dont know if palm piliot can read html files .. but you can go to the board foot calculater in the tool box .. then save the file on your pc .. then it will work while your offline .. well you dont get the graphics .. but it will do the calculations

Trc^

Thank You Sponsors!