iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

PTO generators

Started by xlogger, December 28, 2018, 05:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

After my building collapse that I store my slabs in during the snow storm I was planning on building it back and moving my planer, jointer and dust collector out there. Dust collector takes about 10 amps and planer 27 amps. This is the most I would be needing at a time. Jointer and dust collector would need less. I was looking at a PTO generator from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company that has 13,000 surge and a 50 amp plug. My tractor has 28.5 hp at the PTO and they say that's enough to power the generator. What I would like to do is hook up at the 50 amp plug and run it to a panel box in the shed and go from there to my planer, jointer and DC. If I needed it at the house I already have a plug there I use for my smaller portable generator in the panel box and maybe sell that one.
Just wondering if anyone has done this or do think it would work?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

goose63

I have one out by my power pole it will run every thing when the power gos out i shut off the main box so that I'm back into the main power line
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

mike_belben

My only concern would be if its a newer, low hour tractor that you will one day be planning to sell, and if its a lot of hours of generation.  The extra hours on the meter in that case would really lower the tractor value.  

I mean if its some $1200 9N then yeah, run it to the ground. 
Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

My experience with PTO generators is you need a bigger tractor then you think. A small tractor the governor may have a hard time quickly keeping up with demand when you start drawing power. This can cause issues with electrical devices.

xlogger

Quote from: goose63 on December 28, 2018, 07:07:23 AM
I have one out by my power pole it will run every thing when the power gos out i shut off the main box so that I'm back into the main power line
Is it a pto generator? If so how many hp at the pto and what size generator is it?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Dave Shepard

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on December 28, 2018, 10:43:50 AM
My experience with PTO generators is you need a bigger tractor then you think. A small tractor the governor may have a hard time quickly keeping up with demand when you start drawing power. This can cause issues with electrical devices.
Farmall H would run the barn,  the M wasn't fast enough on the governor. We now run an 806, which doesn't even know it's doing anything.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

xlogger

I called the Kubota dealer yesterday and ask him about this. He said I should not have any problems doing what I was thinking about. On putting lots of hours on tractor that should not be a problem, I usually just run a slab threw once in a while. Never ran planer over an hour since I had it and it about 3 years old now.

Thank You Sponsors!