iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ash tree fall fail

Started by wbrent, March 04, 2019, 07:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jd540b

Don P. I have done that too if I'm pulling a heavy leaner over or something like that.  Will use chain and chain binder of HD ratchet strap.Works really well.

Ed_K

One other problem is I think the tree was froze also. Ash and hickory when frozen are harder to judge the hinge.
Ed K

wbrent

Cut up a couple five foot lengths and milled today. Pleasantly surprised. Btw my local forester tells me this is still White Ash.

Satamax

Quote from: wbrent on March 04, 2019, 07:50:33 PM

Well, i don't see a fail, either for firewood or sawmill! :D 
It's a nice slab, split perfectly on the quarter; which, if well sawn and advertised as such, could bring a premium.  And if it's for firewood, well, look at it, as less splitting work to  do! :D 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Skeans1

The main thing is the hinge is too thick that caused the chair. To the face myself I would of been shooting for a deeper face roughly about the middle of your hinge, when putting in your face the depth as well as the angle of the face have effect on the tree in this case I'd say both helped the tree chair. An open or even a block face allow the hinge to bend instead of break which is great for staying on the stump not so great for a chair situation. I'm not a huge fan of boring a back cut I'll use a coos cut on a leaner or standard back cut everything else.

maple flats

When I took my GOL (game of logging training) I was taught to make the hinge 10% of the diameter and the face cut in about 20-25%. Then do the plunge cut, about in the middle between the hinge and the back of the tree about 2-3" higher. Then bring the hinge to the 10%, in this case, 20" tree, 2" hinge. Then it in doubt, do a plunge cut directly in the back and drive a plastic wedge. If still in doubt use the chain or heavy strap idea to help hold the trunk from splitting. That wedge is not needed in the back if the tree has any lean in the right direction. Then cut from the hinge out the back. And as you did, as soon as the tree starts to tip, run 45 degrees away from the tree, but keep an eye on it to be certain it is going away from you, but not straight away.
As others have said, ash and a few others are prone to split, so that would be a good time to use a heavy strap or chain.
Any tree that you drop that gets no body or anything valuable hurt is a success. 
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Ron Scott

And yes it's white ash. 
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!