iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

treatment & method of preserving underground part of logs

Started by John Bonner, October 30, 2015, 11:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Bonner

Want ranch driveway log header atop 2 vertical logs. It's all Lodgepole. What should I treat underground part with for preservative? 

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

It is the ground-line area that is most important to treat.

And am not sure how effective any preservative is on lodgepole.

Check with your local yards for a chemical they would recommend for your wood.

And click your username and update your profile with location, as it helps when answering your questions and interests.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

Years ago, I sawed up some pine for a customer to make her own fence posts. She was able, at that time, to go to home depot and pick up a 5 gallon pail of "fence post paint". But I believe she had to special order it was it wasn't on hand at our local store.
It was the Behr brand of paint.
When I did my fence many many years ago, I used Cuprinal (spelling?) # 10 green fence post paint but I don't believe you can get that any more.

One thing that I read in a fence installation book, was to back fill the hole with crushed stone, not dirt. That way any surface rain water will run through the stone and not sit in the dirt against the post/pole.

When I did my fence I back filled with stone. It's still standing some 20 years later.

Good luck with your project.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Roger Nair

There is nothing like local knowledge, I'd ask around like at farmers supply and builders supply houses, places where the counterman has been in the market a few decades.  Soils, drainage and climate as well as the wood species will tell the story. 
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

scsmith42

There was an article in Sawmill and Woodlot magazine a couple of years back about this topic. 

Here on the farm I will do an initial treatment of a boric acid solution (such as Timbor or Solubor), allow it to fully day and then follow with a treatment of copper napthanate (CuNap) mixed in paint thinner or diesel.

I purchase the CuNap online in 5 gallon quantities.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!