iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

blade cylinder 4 1984 240a timberjack

Started by MICKEY108, April 01, 2012, 09:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MICKEY108

i took 4 bolts off cover how do u get the packing out looks like a snap ring holding it in but counldnt get it out hoping someone can help thanks

snowstorm

never did a tj one. tho it sounds about like the way jd did it. push the gland in take the snap ring out

PAFaller

You got it right, but it will still be tight. Take that snap ring out and either put pressure to it to get it out or try compressed air. The small seal on the rod usually goes bad and causes the leak, same with the steering cylinder. Thats why you may be seeing a leak but it will still be *DanG tight to get the booger apart. I did the steering cylinder in the woods this past winter, and just had the blade ones done at the shop while it was apart. Feel free to PM me if you ever have a question, there isn't much in mine I haven't gone through in 2 years I have owned it, but I enjoy the simplicity of it and felt it was a worthwhile investment
It ain't easy...

OntarioAl

Mickey108
Just as PAfaller and Snowstorm advised you have to drive the gland back to get enough clearance to take the snap ring out.
I make a simple puller using 3/8 all thread (4 to 5 " long), 2 pieces of 1" x 1/4" x 6" flat bar.
Thread the 2 pieces of all thread into opposite holes on the gland pass them through the holes in the keeper plate spand the cylinder with the flat bar on edge. Tighten the nuts 1/2 turn and alternate and the gland will pull up flush with the top of the cylinder.  Grab the rod at this time and it should come out with a little wiggling.
It works for me
I hope this helps
Al

Al Raman

MICKEY108

Thank You Sponsors!