iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Prescribed Burning Time!

Started by Okefenokee_D, December 20, 2019, 09:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okefenokee_D

Just started burning for the season. Anyone else started yet?

Here are some videos of the burn from yesterday. I have more, but didn't upload them all yet. 

One is in 4k and the other in 1080p. My old laptop can't fully process the 4k on its screen, but yours may. Enjoy!

Prescribed Burn in Palmetto/Pine plantation - YouTube

Drone flight over Prescribed Burn - YouTube

dustintheblood

I'd volunteer to be on the backside of that right now!  It'd be a nice break from the -20 temps !

Sign me up
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Okefenokee_D

Quote from: dustintheblood on December 20, 2019, 09:36:42 AM
I'd volunteer to be on the backside of that right now!  It'd be a nice break from the -20 temps !

Sign me up
I feel for you. I wouldn't know what to do in -20. Probably just die.

dustintheblood

The 4K is sure purdy.  Great job and thanks for sharing!
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

btulloh

Very nice.  Thanks for posting.  Looks your new drone is earning it's keep already.  Great footage. 

Just stay out of @charles mann 's air space!   :D :D
HM126

Okefenokee_D

Quote from: btulloh on December 20, 2019, 10:58:25 AM
Very nice.  Thanks for posting.  Looks your new drone is earning it's keep already.  Great footage.

Just stay out of @charles mann 's air space!   :D :D
I'd get a spanking if I carried it on a wildfire without approval 😅
I was debating hard against keeping it, but I think I may change my mind. I just need a better laptop and some video/photo editing programs!

Thanks guys!

btulloh

Ha.  Just like buying a sawmill, which leads to buying more stuff.  But you just needed a good excuse to upgrade your pc, so now you have it.   :D
HM126

ESFted

Those drone videos are steady as a rock.  Very impressive and a great view of how you set up the burn.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

charles mann

Quote from: btulloh on December 20, 2019, 10:58:25 AM
Very nice.  Thanks for posting.  Looks your new drone is earning it's keep already.  Great footage.

Just stay out of @charles mann 's air space!   :D :D
Yep, pvt airspace. but i welcome the prescribed burning. I need to burn my hayfield. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Okefenokee_D

Lots of rain supposedly coming this weekend here in the Southeast. We've been in a drought for awhile, so we need some rain. Maybe if it does get a little wet the wood prices will go back up. BUT hope it doesnt get to wet to not be able to burn!

teakwood

why are you burning? won't the pine gets damaged?

I fairly used to burning because here in latin america it's very common to burn farms in the dry season. more uncontrolled than controlled
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Okefenokee_D

Quote from: teakwood on December 22, 2019, 10:17:06 AM
why are you burning? won't the pine gets damaged?

I fairly used to burning because here in latin america it's very common to burn farms in the dry season. more uncontrolled than controlled
Why am I burning?
-To reduce fuel load under the pine trees. Reducing the fuel load will create trees to less likely burn up if a wildfire ever occurs versus a pine plantation that is unmanaged and has a heavy fuel load under the pine trees.
The ash will also help provide nutrients for the tree as well as any more vegetation.

Won't the pine get damage?
-Generally, we burn in the winter when the trees are dormant thus less likely to get damage. Trees can still get damage if you put too much heat up in the canopy of the tree, thus is why it is best to burn on a cool day with a high transport wind speed to move the smoke/heat out of the canopy.
You can still burn in the spring time and summer, but the pine plantations are usually more open thus allowing the smoke and heat to not build up in the canopy. These burns are typically to remove oak tree competition.

Riwaka

Do any areas of the south-east use a machine mulcher or disc ground working equipment? Either because rules or conditions restrict burns etc?

Okefenokee_D

Quote from: Riwaka on December 22, 2019, 07:46:25 PM
Do any areas of the south-east use a machine mulcher or disc ground working equipment? Either because rules or conditions restrict burns etc?
Generally if an area is smoke sensitive most people are recommended to not burn but to use a skid steer with mulching head or a tractor with a bush hog to mow down the heavy brush.
But a lot of people don't want to spend the money thus it just sits there.

Thank You Sponsors!