iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this non-SAF Forest Technician program worth it?

Started by LordKuro, October 13, 2020, 06:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordKuro

I recently started attending a Forest Technology program at a community college, and I'm trying to figure out if I'm making the right decision career-wise. I had the chance to move to this particular area and attend this school because of help from family after lockdown related job loss, so I had to jump on the opportunity pretty fast and with admittedly not enough research. I'm not sure if I should name the program publicly, since I'm one of like 5 students attending and the only one who traveled for it, but I can link it in private messages if that would help.

The program itself seems to be a sort of supervised self study. There's no textbooks, lectures, or syllabus, but there are quizzes and homework, and occasional in person classes (no lectures during those, just Q&A on homework). While trying to find a good online resource to learn from for the homework, I found out about the SAF. After looking around the school website, I'm pretty sure this program isn't SAF accredited. Is a program any good for finding a job if it's unaccredited? I do already have a Business and Administration degree from a good state university, and originally thought that the two year Forest Technology certification and the business degree would work well together to appeal to employers, but now I'm not so sure. Am I better off plowing through this program to get the certificate, or would I be better off gaining experience at an entry level job instead? Are there any other (preferably online, since I can't move again for a while) degree options that would be a better choice?

My career goals are similarly rushed and under-researched, but the main thing is that I want to find a job where I can work outdoors with plants, preferably deep in the woods of northern WI or the U.P. somewhere. I have previously always worked at a garden center, and loved the work. I had even planned to join together with a relative to open up our own garden center one day, but after this spring I'm not sure how viable an option that is anymore. Lower level forestry jobs sound like they have similar aspects to the jobs I've had and enjoyed over the years, but with greater resilience. I realize that you don't get rich with a Forest Technology certificate, but all I really want is enough to pay for taxes and a low cost lifestyle on a little off-grid place in the woods. So, for you experienced foresters: Am I making a foolish choice with a non-SAF Forest Technology program? And if I am, what might be a better option?

Ron Scott

Always best to attend and graduate from a SAF Certified curriculum.
~Ron

RPF2509

While SAF accredited may be best in the long run, COVID has upended higher education and if you need to get working, your local outfit may be better in the short run.  Most technician stuff is best learned on the job and while book learning will expose you to the theories and concepts, forests are highly variable and much will depend on your work location.  I would still do some more research and as been said, SAF accredited will do you better in the long run.  Being a technician as a career can be rewarding but as you age it gets harder to motivate out into the cold and wet and you might enjoy some desk time.  Certainly there are those who have built a successful career from the school of hard knocks but a quality education goes a long ways to open doors.  You are committed to this term but make sure your credits can transfer if you decide where you are at is not working out.  Spend the time now to do your research, ask questions and make the most of what you have in hand.  If a school is SAF accredited they will be loud and clear about it.  I went to Oregon State University and they have an extensive online degree program as do other major forestry schools esp in the covid era.  A business background certainly helps in Forestry as wood is money.  With that log buyer, appraiser, lumber sales come to mind but it starts with mastery of the basics.  Regardless, spending time in the woods is what we all love as foresters but it really boils down to relationships and communication with people.  See if you can find alums of your program and find out how it turned out for them

clearcut

If your future employer will be Federal, then your resume and transcripts will be machine scored. Any documented education in the subjects relevant to the positions that you apply for will count. Accredited hours / credits will count for more. Is the difference worth it? Hard to say without exploring that scoring algorithm.

Locally, does the school have a good reputation? Do local employers hire graduates from the program? For a non-SAF accredited program, local employers are a more likely first employer. SAF accreditation makes it easier for a distant employer to trust the school to teach definable minimum standards. 

If licensing is an issue where you hope to end up, then attending an SAF accredited program may be required to meet licensing requirements.

What really counts is that first job. In Forest Tech positions, experience counts toward employablity with the private sector much more that education.

Best of luck.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Otis1

Not sure where you are currently located but based on you saying that you would like to work in Wisco or the UP, I'm guessing you're at Gogebic? There are some things in Wisconsin that you have to have a four year degree, such as becoming a Certified Plan Writer for the Wisconsin DNR. 

With already having a Business Admin degree, have you considered UWSP? They have a Forest Utilization and Administration degree that goes well with the business degree. In fact, that's what I did. Having a business degree already cut my forestry degree down to about two years. 

Thank You Sponsors!