iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what is this and can i eat it.

Started by doc henderson, October 16, 2020, 07:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

was cleaning up my slab pile and found this guy.  looks plump, but moving slow.  a little cool today.  these slabs have sat for 3 months or so.  do I need to spray the area?  I put this one in the burn barrel.  

I am sure i could eat it, but I do not really want to.   digin_2
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

stavebuyer

Horn worm. Bad news for tomato and tobacco. Burn him. :snowball:

WDH

Your wood is safe but not your tomatoes. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Green blooded gobblin.  Let me know how it tastes.   ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

A tomato reaper is what that dang thing is. Comes from a moth. 
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

I have used Captains Jack's powder, once every 2 weeks, on my tomatoes plants and I don't have them worms anymore. Comes in a spray too. Organic too. Much better than that sevin stuff.  ::) :o  And cheaper at the store I work at.

captain Jack's
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Dredge in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs, 40 seconds in the air fryer.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old saw fixer

I am sure that Andrew Zimmern has tried one.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

GAB

Before eating it I would suggest that your will be in place and that your life insurance(s) be up to date.
Just in case.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

doc henderson

I am smoking peppers today, if I can find another one I will give it a try.  head first or tail first? :o :)

mike_belben

Tail first so it comes out easy when you puke. 
Praise The Lord

GAB

Quote from: mike_belben on October 17, 2020, 08:40:33 PM
Tail first so it comes out easy when you puke.
I'm not sure about that.
The horn might just hook on the way out and who knows what could be the result of that.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Tacotodd

I'm just getting sick thinking about ingesting that! 

I'm sorry Doc, I'll stick to my deer meat, any and every day. I know without a doubt I can eat deer. It has 3 things going for it: 

1 No hormones in it that aren't natural 
2 Nobody has EVER complained about the taste (if I butcher & prepare)
3 Nobody ever gets sick from it

Sorry about the sidetrack, but YOU can eat it if you're willing.
Trying harder everyday.

bluthum

I've tried a lot of different insect life raw, some are not too bad. A tomato hornworm did not meet my standards for edible. Can't say about cooked but raw it tasted like a broken tomato vine smell by 10,000 times. Pungent to the point of very nasty.

Bogue Chitto

You can eat the fish that it catches.   ;D

alan gage

Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

petefrom bearswamp

When I was a teen, a very long time ago I worked summers for 2 Italian brothers on their truck farm.
Hornworms were common in the tomatoes.
Ugly critters and you could hear them chewing.
Dont remember if they sprayed for them.
The father of the guys ate almost everything but i doubt he tried them
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Nebraska

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Bet it won't be as juicy as a sawyer grub.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Skip

doc henderson

so that is how you stay so young!   :o :o :o   8) 8) 8)   :) :) :).  maybe like Bill Clinton,   it is on your lip, but you did not chew and swallow.   :) :D  I "could" eat them, but I would need to be more hungry than usual.

bluthum

Many people of the world still regularly eat insects as did native Americans, pre europeans. Some parts of the world have many types of insects for sale in the market place. 

I doubt any early human culture existed that didn't utilize the food source. They can be tasty and nutritious, eaten with judiciousness. 

Most of the beetle larvae I've eaten from under bark have a flavor some what like the host tree. The middle sized mallet heads from under hickory bark [I think a type of Long Horn beetle larvae] taste like hickory  nuts a bit, have a nice texture and crunch. 

kantuckid

After my maters had died off this year, I wondered what was eating my pepper plants and found hornworms. Been gardening a long time and never seen them on peppers before. 
I prefer picking them off by hand and stomping on the ground to pesticides. They can be hard to spot but leave tell tale poop and barren leaf stalks. 
I used to work with a guy here in KY who was a noodler and had eaten most critters, I'll ask him before I try eating one? ;D 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!