iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help for a newbie

Started by Mrbrettbaker, November 03, 2020, 01:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrbrettbaker

I have a 23 acre parcel that I will eventually build on. I plan on milling as much of the trees I must cut down to be used for lumber. My mill is not done yet and I want to take down a handful of trees (,mostly pine) and won't have the time or the equipment in place to even debark them. Its in the 30s and 40s currently in the Albany NY area. Will these pines be OK with bark on them until late winter early spring? I really don't want to waste the lumber.
Thanks 

BaldBob

SwampDonkey

It's been on the mild side this fall, they can stain quite easily if bark beetles are active.

My mom was going to have cupboards built from white pine. The pine was on grandfather's land, which he cut in the winter and yarded up from the river by horse. By the time they were processed into lumber, which could have been weeks into the next growing season, they had stained bad. I had some sawed in May that were cut in the previous fall, the bugs and stain had begun, but not severe, I was able to use the lumber.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

kantuckid

Knowing how you'll use those trees would help answer. Why are you debarking? 
 Being in NY state should keep the bugs in hibernation. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Mrbrettbaker

Another newbie question about this. Will the trees resist the staining and bugs longer it i knock them over and leave the root balls on them until spring? Want to use the lumber to build a barn

BaldBob

If you put them down in the winter and mill them before it gets warm bugs won't be a problem. Leaving the root ball attached will likely worsen attracting bark beetles once the weather warms. If you are going to use them for a barn that you intend to paint, it won't matter if they blue stain. They are unlikely to stain over the winter in any case, but even if they do, blue stained wood tends to take paint very well.

Thank You Sponsors!