iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need a little advice, please.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, February 20, 2013, 02:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I hate to kill a seedling when it comes up. This is a pic of a Willow Oak that came up on it's own some years ago.
We sure have enjoyed it but now it's time to make a decision.

This tree is 11 feet from our house. Is the root system gonna do damage to my foundation somewhere down the road? It may not in my life time at 56 but I don't want my son to have to go through anything, I can "nip in the bud".

Thanks ya'll.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

Judging from past experience removing BIG willow oaks in several back yards, eventually it will cause problems this close to the house. The last one I did was 20 feet from the back door of a house. This was the biggest tree that I've ever removed, overall. It was responsible for slab foundation shift, sticky doors throughout the house, fencing off-kilter, and an oil tank pushed up due to the root system. The tree was 57" DBH, 26" at 85 feet above the ground, and 140 feet tall. Since it was over 125 years old, it had taken years to do this damage.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

Do all willow oak grow roots on top of the ground? I'd cut it down just for that reason. I have enough trimming to do. Going to dig out the stump too?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I probably should take it out before it gets to big. I've kept the limbs trimmed. I'll probably leave the stump and just put something on it to kill the root system.
I should have pulled it up when I first saw it, some time back.....B U T......I didn't.

mesquite buckeye

You could always wait until it is big enough for a little lumber, say 18-20" ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Ianab

That close to the house I'd be taking it out about now while it's still an easy job.

I mean I LIKE trees, in the right place. Down the other end of the garden with plenty of space, great, but not beside the house.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

I'm clearing a grown up pasture. I have a few aspen stumps. I cut them kinda high and cut a bowl with my chainsaw into the stump. I keep that full of salt and water. That kills them stumps.But the real reason is,seem like I cut one aspen and 100 will come up. I have no more than 10 I am doing this too.
I agree with Ianab,I don't like them that close to the house.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ianab on February 20, 2013, 03:49:21 PM
That close to the house I'd be taking it out about now while it's still an easy job.

I mean I LIKE trees, in the right place. Down the other end of the garden with plenty of space, great, but not beside the house.

Ian

You win.  :D :D :D

Sprucegum

You want to cut it off about 10 feet up. Then pull the tall stump out and replant it upside down. The diasporant(a WDH word) root pattern will give your guests something to talk about.

thecfarm

I saw that done by a green house business. They power washed the roots. Took me a second to realize what I was looking at.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 20, 2013, 03:57:03 PM
Quote from: Ianab on February 20, 2013, 03:49:21 PM

Ian

You win.  :D :D :D

But you will lose the shade from the branches that fall on the roof then??!!!!! 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

........................................................DONE............................................................

Alright now......don't never say I didn't listen to ya'll.  :D :D :D My wife will probably kick my Bass when she gets home.  :o :o :o :o :o I can here her now....."WHO TOLD YOU TO CUT THAT TREE DOWN?".......uh.....uh.....uh...."A guy from New Zealand?"  ;D

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 20, 2013, 04:57:58 PM
........................................................DONE............................................................

Alright now......don't never say I didn't listen to ya'll.  :D :D :D My wife will probably kick my Bass when she gets home.  :o :o :o :o :o

That's what you git. :D

thecfarm

You know Poston,I kinda like that tree there now. It really opens the view up alot. I would not like that.   ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I just didn't want to mess the house foundation up down the road.

And you're right Buck-eye...that's what I get.  :D

clww

A fast-growing tree according to those rings.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Chief...it was growing right at the end of the underground pipe that carries the washing machine water.

beenthere

Quoteunderground pipe that carries the washing machine water.

So it was being fed sawdust from your pockets.... no wonder!!
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: beenthere on February 20, 2013, 06:27:25 PM
Quoteunderground pipe that carries the washing machine water.

So it was being fed sawdust from your pockets.... no wonder!!

That's pretty good thinking......never thought of that.....but true.  smiley_thumbsup

giant splinter

I always push one like that over and then size it up, looks like it fell over that way and you don't get in trouble so much.
Do it on a day when the wind is blowing and it works even better.
roll with it

Slab Slicer

Taking it down was the right idea for sure. If the roots didn't become an issue, those branches hangng near the roof would be. Growing that close to the roof, they would hold moisture on the roof, and cause it to rot. Make sure you tell the wife that story also. You need all the defense you can get.  :D :D
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Chuck, let me give you her cell phone number.  :D :D :D

Slab Slicer

I had some experience talking Deb into cutting some trees. I hope it helps me when talking to her.  :D

Replant a nice dogwood for her. It won't get real big, and shouldn't cause an issue. Sloooooow growing also.  ;)
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

WDH

OH NO!

I would have voted for clemency  :).

Quote from: Sprucegum on February 20, 2013, 04:14:07 PM
diasporant

Sprucegum.

I had to look that one up  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I wonder if Poston has a black eye,maybe 2 even   ;D  or is he sawing out a dog house about now.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!