iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for advice about resawing beams

Started by Nomad, November 02, 2013, 06:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

I've got a job coming up to resaw a bunch of SYP beams.  Old, old beams!  True 4x8 beams from a demo'd old building.  I've resawn old beams, but never old heart pine like this.  Any recommendations on blades?  How about lube? 
     These old timbers are just beautiful and I really don't want to mess this wood up.  Any advice is welcome.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Gasawyer

Nomad I use tide for cold water as a lube with water. Its the only thing that I have found that works, about 1 cap full to 5 gal. 1 1/2 " 7deg .045 bands work great.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

kelLOGg

I've done a lot of that on old heart pine (SYP) beams. I used 0.042" Simonds bands, 0.025" set, diesel wipe top and bottom of band. Expect nails.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Dave Shepard

I resawed a SYP beam. Once. It was definitely pitchy. I used a WM DoubleHard .055"x10° It sawed well, even after I hit 7 1/2" lag bolts. Well, it was sawing about a 1/2" higher than it was supposed to at that point. :D I found that resawing big beams left a lot of checks in the boards.

We got some beautiful material from it.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

customsawyer

Take plenty of blades with you. Even if you don't hit any metal the dust that is deep in the grain of the wood will take the sharp off pretty quick.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Pitch will be a real problem.  You will occasionally have to run the blade with the lube open to clear it off.

This will be interesting.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

I'd say saw them, it should be good.    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

T Welsh

Keep the lube on and bring plenty of sharp blades and most of all scan all beams before sawing with a metal detector!The stuff is hard and gummy,I keep the build up off the band with ATF and a wire wheel attached to a 6" bolt and squirt with ATF and hold the wheel against the turning band. Tim

xlogger

If you use soap and water, bring some diesel as back up lube and use a good drip of it. Those beams can by very sappy. I only use diesel on those, also I use a wiper like cooks sell instead of drip.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Nomad

Well, sawed those beams today.  Turned out to not be all that big a deal, but I think in part that's due to Gasawyer's suggestion to try Cold Water Tide.  There was a lot of pitch, and that stuff worked great!
     I only hit hardware twice.  Sliced both of 'em lengthwise.  Go figure. ::)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!