iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Replanting maple or red oak or black cheary to re plant blow down poplar area

Started by zach613, November 13, 2016, 07:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zach613

so i got 5-10 acres depending how into it i want to get to cleaning up of blown down 12-16 inch poplar from a big storm. their is a mix of red/white oak in some areas and some maples in other areas. the soil is kinda a sand,clay,silty soil what would be better to try to replant in place of the poplars.

curdog

If there is a good bit of sunlight hitting the ground,you'll probably get quite a bit of poplar coming back in if you like it or not. There's going to be a lot of poplar seed already in place and it just needs the sunlight.
I'd look at what regeneration is already on site and try to manage that. I know in my area that I would never manage for black cherry, or red maple , but it would be a valuable tree in other areas. A general location might help to determine what markets would be strongest.

thecfarm

I don't have much poplar on my land. I have no idea what state you are in. I am clearing a grown  pasture. I cut the trees and mow it and the grass comes back. The few poplar I cut,I leave a high stump and cut a bowl with a chain saw into the stump. I fill the bowl with rock salt and water. The stump draws in the salt and that kills the stump. I keep water there and salt too and put in whatever is needed. But this is only on a small scale. I never had more than 10 stumps at any time,probably more like 5. I do cut them in the woods and they seem to really grow suckers from the roots.Almost like kicking a hornet's nest,first there is none,than 100's of them.  :o
Might have to use some herbicide?? I think you a job ahead of you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

zach613

im in west central mn, and poplar regrowth will get the brush saw in the summer. as for stumps the mini excavator takes them out. none of this will be market wood just trying to bring back that area of the woods to something more appealing then poplar. as the dnr offers seedling for $80.00 per hundred. as this is the area are trail to are lake camping area runs.

Clark

You will fight the young aspen until you get adequate shade on them. Cut 'em down, they'll grow back. If you had a partial blow down event where there are just pockets of timber that are now horizontal, you might be able to tip the scales in favor of something other than aspen. I like your idea of getting the area to grow something other than aspen but planting oak can be an effort to feed deer and if the aspen is vigorous it will be a loosing battle.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

zach613

yes its pockets and we don't see the regrowth like you do by Duluth. ive brushed sawed trail up that way a bunch and ares dose not come back near as bad.

Thank You Sponsors!